Duck pond filtration advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by egraham, Jun 8, 2017.

1. egraham

egraham Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    I'm going to be upgrading from a kiddie pool to a larger preformed pond for my ducks. I've been looking at different pond filters but have doubts they can keep up with duck poop.

Any recommendations on filters or DIY filters that can keep a duck pond clean?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You are stuck somewhere between a stone and a hard spot. (jokingly of course) when it comes to effective filtration. First thing to consider is naturally the number of ducks. The more ducks,,,,,,,, the harder the filtration effort. I would suggest a small swimming pool filter. Try to find one that uses sand as filtration medium. The cartridge type will drive you to the poor house in replacement costs. JMO. The sand type can be reverse flushed and used over and over. You may consider changing sand as often as you deem necessary. This filter will only remove more or less solids. The water will turn cloudy compared to fresh fill and will still need to be replaced/refilled as needed. There are youtube videos about home made filters. They look home made and get quite large in size. (garbage barrels) I am sure they do work to a certain degree.
    WISHING YOU BEST and :welcome

egraham likes this.
  3. egraham

egraham Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    That's a really good idea! And prob not anymore expensive than a good pond filter. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by