Duck pond size and ideas

the_finch_family

Songster
Dec 15, 2022
East iceland
Hi!
So, I'm doing some projects outdoors right now; a new big coop, fence etc.
I'll have some extra concrete leftover and want to make a small pond for the ducks to swim in.

Now, my question is how big would you guys say it should be for a maximum of 12 ducks?
I don't have a huge space, but I'd love to make them a nice pond to enjoy when things aren't frozen over.

Here's the general idea I have for it. I have a pump I'd like to put into a DIY filter box just to limit the amount of dirt in there between cleanings, and to create a sort of little creek going down to the pond.
20230428_163955.jpg

Hi!
So, I'm doing some projects outdoors right now; a new big coop, fence etc.
I'll have some extra concrete leftover and want to make a small pond for the ducks to swim in.

Now, my question is how big would you guys say it should be for a maximum of 12 ducks?
I don't have a huge space, but I'd love to make them a nice pond to enjoy when things aren't frozen over.

Here's the general idea I have for it. I have a pump I'd like to put into a DIY filter box just to limit the amount of dirt in there between cleanings, and to create a sort of little creek going down to the pond.View attachment 3485421
What type of ducks are they?

Because different size birds require different sized ponds. Like with call ducks they don't require such a large pond since they are smaller. Khaki Campbels for example are almost 4 times bigger than a call duck. What were your original plans/ how big are you comfortable with making it?

Because different size birds require different sized ponds. Like with call ducks they don't require such a large pond since they are smaller. Khaki Campbels for example are almost 4 times bigger than a call duck. What were your original plans/ how big are you comfortable with making it?
Oh, well yeah that makes sense. I'd say anything under 2x4m would be good.
I don't have a huge space, but I'd be willing to give them quite a chunk there in the garden for their aquatic activities lol

What is your soil like? A concrete pond liner is not going to be water tight for long and the concrete pieces will be difficult to remove if you ever want something different there. A plastic liner would less expensive, would be easier to install, would last longer, and would be easier to remove when the time comes.
Ooh I didn't think of that. My soil is largely clay, with tons of rocks. Iceland am I right... oof.
I was hoping I could use the concrete with a sealant, but if it would crack then it really doesn't seem that worth it.
Where I am, it's actually cheaper to make it with concrete which is why I wanted to go that route though.

Adding in fake grass around the pond eliminates mud in the pond
I have used it around my one in ground pond for 2 years
I’ll add a picture of how it looks after 2 years
Still holding up great
Easy to spray poo off abc cleans up great
The second pond I just put in ground this spring and have also added the fake grass
Not done the finishing cuts in the pic but you get the idea
I have 14 ducks and they seem to do fine with the ponds I have so the size you are looking at would be just fine

Attachments

• 828CD44F-0B77-4BB7-9F2C-529580759294.jpeg
    828CD44F-0B77-4BB7-9F2C-529580759294.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • A6CF6493-2960-4F03-9688-B9C263721F63.jpeg
    A6CF6493-2960-4F03-9688-B9C263721F63.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 56
Great plan. They love the shallows for bathing so make sure your waterfall accommodates that. One suggestion would be a skimmer at the last waterfall, and perhaps a second in the pool, to collect feathers.

My 7 ducks (and 7 geese) are happy with their 10ft round pool, so I'd use that as your upper limit. I also have a 4ftx2ft sandbox that will fit all the ducks, or 4 geese, so there us a lower limit guide.

How deep is it? It's really fun to watch them dive.

Adding in fake grass around the pond eliminates mud in the pond
I have used it around my one in ground pond for 2 years
I’ll add a picture of how it looks after 2 years
Still holding up great
Easy to spray poo off abc cleans up great
The second pond I just put in ground this spring and have also added the fake grass
Not done the finishing cuts in the pic but you get the idea
I have 14 ducks and they seem to do fine with the ponds I have so the size you are looking at would be just fine
I haven't thought of that. I've seen people use gravel, which is kind of what I was thinking of doing.
I might try out the fake grass if it'll fit the general look of it all. Thank you!

Concrete will only be as good as the reinforcement; reinforcing rod (rebar), wire mesh or whatever. Without some sort of reinforcing it will crumble as the ground expands and contracts. If you can do that more easily than putting in a sheet of rubber then go for it.
Well, I guess I'll look through some other shops and see if the prices are gonna be any better for the pond liner. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom