Duck ponds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Jun 24, 2018.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm planning to get about 3 ducks (breed will depend on what is available around here at the time). I set aside an area in my backyard where I'm currently restoring an ancient shed, which is going to be turned into chicken and duck housing once it's done. In the soon-to-be fenced off area there is a lovely space where I'm seriously considering putting a small pond for the ducks.

Who here have duck ponds and what do's and don'ts have you got for me? Also pics, if you have any, please!

Things I'd like to know for starters is depth and size requirements, materials safe for use in and construction of the pond (I'm not going to go big or fancy with this).

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    They don't need much. We did have one of those preformed fish ponds in plastic that we set in the ground. We used a small pond pump to drain it to refill and we had the water direct to the garden to use that nice poo water for fertilizer. We liked the preform because they had plenty of room to tip up (nothing cuter than a duck butt tipped up in a pond) and if breeding, gives them better breeding maneuverability.

Now we just use cheap kiddie pools and replace them every few months. I buy 6 at the start of the season and put out 3 at a time (1 for each goose :rolleyes: and one for the ducks to share). We dump those every day and use a toilet brush to clean them.

3. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thanks, Terrie! I would love "tip up" room for sure. That is so cute and funny! Draining the pond for cleaning is another thing I'm keeping in mind. They are so messy, I guess that is going to need to happen frequently.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Remember their water doesn't have to be strictly "clean" all the time, just fresh. First thing they do is poop in it, but happily drink it and play in it anyway.

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    :sick

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    my nana and papa just leveled the ground put a galvanized steel water trough (round) and piled rocks up one side, it works GREAT!!! it looks so cute too! the also have a pump in there, ill see if I can get a pic!

Lil Drake40 and casportpony like this.

10. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Lol! She found it before I did. :lau

So a few things we've learned.
    1.Ducks throw rocks in the pool for fun :rantwe've had to keep a length of hose handy to back wash it when it gets clogged or gets a little rock blocking the valve. I've ended up keeping a square of hardware cloth covering the drain held down by bricks to keep big stuff from going in. So keep that in mind and leave yourself a way to do a clean out or back wash.
    2.Using any straw was a big mistake. Every time the wind blew it got a ton of it in the pond. .and clogged the drain.
    3.Our "lagoon" pond stared smelling really bad when it got hot outside. We are probably going to re route the drainage to go elsewhere.
    4. The ball valve we used is extremely hard to turn. When we do the re route we will probably replace that with the handle kind to make it easier.
    5. A dustpan on a stick and broom from dollar tree saves me lots of water and time washing out the yuck. I sweep up the nasty in the dust pan after the bulk of the water drains and throw it out. Then I use the broom to sweep the rest of the dirty water down the drain.
    6. I thought I would be able to go two or three weeks without water changing. . ha ha. It smelled after about a week with 6 calls out there. Currently I have 9 and it needs changed really about every 3 or 4 days. I really wish it wasn't so deep. But I had no luck finding anything shallow but large surface. I almost wish I had done what @Steven Mazzo done with his.
    All said and done. . it still beats kiddy pools! :)
    And the ducks enjoy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by