Duck poo and enlarged cloaca?

Puddin816

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Alright, I am officially going crazy. Since I found Backyard chickens, I feel like a crazy new parent asking questions 24/7 but I have one more. My duckling is about 3 1/2 weeks old and about a week ago we had her sexed, since then her cloaca seems a tad bit enlarged, now I am not sure if it due to her growing almost double in size or if it is swollen, it does not seem to bother her but every now and then there's a sort of farting sound coming from her. She backs up about 2 steps to poop usually pushing a little bit almost in a squat position and then she is ok. Keep in mind that she wears a diaper inside and that is usually when she backs up although sometimes, she does it without the diaper. As for her poop, about 2 days after her sexing, her poop went from being her normal olive green and white to a more tannish wet almost solid but not quite substance and now to almost a runny green/ brown tube. I have been goggling everywhere and the only thing I can come up with is lead poisoning, I live in Lubbock Tx, which I'm not sure if any of yall know where that is at but it has a very high mineral content in the water. I try to filter all of her drinking water but her bath water I don't. she also is breathing hardish, I never paid much attention to it till now but it seems fast, and her little heart seams to be racing. I'm just worried there's something going on deeper, or if she has lead poisoning on how to deal with it I love her very much. please let me know!
P.S: some of the stuff in the poop photo is also food. A
Image - Copy (3).jpeg
Image - Copy.jpeg
Image.jpeg
ASDFGHJK.jpeg
sdfghjkl.jpeg
lso, these are all from the past 8 hours.

Alright, I am officially going crazy. Since I found Backyard chickens, I feel like a crazy new parent asking questions 24/7 but I have one more. My duckling is about 3 1/2 weeks old and about a week ago we had her sexed, since then her cloaca seems a tad bit enlarged, now I am not sure if it due to her growing almost double in size or if it is swollen, it does not seem to bother her but every now and then there's a sort of farting sound coming from her. She backs up about 2 steps to poop usually pushing a little bit almost in a squat position and then she is ok. Keep in mind that she wears a diaper inside and that is usually when she backs up although sometimes, she does it without the diaper. As for her poop, about 2 days after her sexing, her poop went from being her normal olive green and white to a more tannish wet almost solid but not quite substance and now to almost a runny green/ brown tube. I have been goggling everywhere and the only thing I can come up with is lead poisoning, I live in Lubbock Tx, which I'm not sure if any of yall know where that is at but it has a very high mineral content in the water. I try to filter all of her drinking water but her bath water I don't. she also is breathing hardish, I never paid much attention to it till now but it seems fast, and her little heart seams to be racing. I'm just worried there's something going on deeper, or if she has lead poisoning on how to deal with it I love her very much. please let me know!
P.S: some of the stuff in the poop photo is also food. AView attachment 3497013View attachment 3497015View attachment 3497016View attachment 3497020View attachment 3497021lso, these are all from the past 8 hours.
I've seen very young ducklings poop as you're describing but not at this age really? Those poops also look a bit weird.
What feed do they have, what temp is the brooder? Do they have any treats?

I've seen very young ducklings poop as you're describing but not at this age really? Those poops also look a bit weird.
What feed do they have, what temp is the brooder? Do they have any treats?
Well, I think it was my fault she had those poops, she gets baths every day and today I held out thinking maybe she’s getting too much water, this afternoon her poop was completely normal. So I believe she’s just drinking too much water and basically water logging herself. She’s getting natures organic feed with some sunflower seeds and parsley. She has access to food and water 24/7. But she still does the back up thing.

Well, I think it was my fault she had those poops, she gets baths every day and today I held out thinking maybe she’s getting too much water, this afternoon her poop was completely normal. So I believe she’s just drinking too much water and basically water logging herself. She’s getting natures organic feed with some sunflower seeds and parsley. She has access to food and water 24/7. But she still does the back up thing.
There isn't really such a thing as too much water, watery poops are common with ducks, its the solid part that looks odd

Does she have access to chick grit? I'd cease with the sunflower seeds and parsley, they aren't necessary and just water down the nutrients in the feed. If she doesn't have grit, she may be struggling to digest the seeds and parsley.

Can you get a photo of the bag of feed? I haven't heard of nature's organic before.
Are you supplementing niacin?

There isn't really such a thing as too much water, watery poops are common with ducks, its the solid part that looks odd

Does she have access to chick grit? I'd cease with the sunflower seeds and parsley, they aren't necessary and just water down the nutrients in the feed. If she doesn't have grit, she may be struggling to digest the seeds and parsley.
Okay, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom