Duck poo on eggs...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, May 2, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

No matter how much straw or shavings I put down (and I tried both), my duck eggs are always super poopy, at best, it's just a few streaks, at worst, it's super gross.... what is the deal?

2. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    They are the poop machines no matter what you do the poop is always everywhere...My 6 litttle brats in the brooder poop so much I clean them out 3 times a day...I could do it 6 but the this alot of puppy pee pads,that is what I am using...

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    chickensducks&agoose :

No matter how much straw or shavings I put down (and I tried both), my duck eggs are always super poopy, at best, it's just a few streaks, at worst, it's super gross.... what is the deal?

yeah, same here... very few clean eggs that I have ever gotten.. I just wash them off at the water hydrant..​

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Know exactly what you mean. If anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear them. Ducks are way messy! But gotta love them!

5. Set up a nest box for them in their duck house, and put in wooden eggs or golf balls.

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:We've tried doing that. They don't use the box, would rather dig their own nests. And the wooden eggs have become toys. We find them all over the coop and run. [​IMG]

7. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Sorry, I can't help you. My ducks both lay early in the morning and I don't let them out of their coop until they have both laid in their nest box. It is a black plastic ball bin that has a hole in the side (intended to keep soccer and basketballs in place but have easy access I think) that I line with a thick bed of pine shavings. They love it, and even sleep in there. Yeah it gets a little poopy, but once I gave them that thing their eggs were very clean.

8. Quote:We've tried doing that. They don't use the box, would rather dig their own nests. And the wooden eggs have become toys. We find them all over the coop and run. [​IMG]

Wow! do they carry them around in their bills? [​IMG]
    Probably depends on your hens and also your set up as to whether they want to use the boxes.
    I was keeping mine locked up in a small house overnight so they just had two choices, in or out of the box.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep mine locked up in a little duck house, and the floor is usually super clean... they lay wherever, and then try to kick the eggs out of the door, but since it's closed, when I open it, they all fall out... and are all dirty... dang ducks.... on another note, somehow NONE of them laid this morning... not ONE egg.... weird... I've been getting 4 a day for months....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by