Duck Pool in the Winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by teisenhand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. teisenhand

teisenhand Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado
    I live in Colorado, and winter is right around the corner, my ducks have a bout a 1 foot deep plastic kiddie pool to swim in. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it from freezing???

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Many people down here use water trough heaters for their kiddie pools.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Last year we dug a hole for a 10 gallon rubbermaid container in our yard and covered it at night with a sheet of plexiglas. We'd have to break thin ice in the morning and replace the water a couple times each week. The warmth of the ground did a good job of keeping the water from freezing through, and the night-time cover helped hold the heat in. Worked pretty well, though.

I've thought about trying to build a passive solar heating system for a winter pond, but I haven't gotten around to it...

4. teisenhand

teisenhand Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Digging a hole isnt an option for me beause they are on a concrete floor, and will the trough heaters get hot wnough to melt the pool or burn the ducks??

5. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    I live in Colorado too and this will be my first winter for ducks. The woman we got ours from uses mortar tubs and says they're great because they're beveled on the botom and study enough not to crack from the cold so when you empty them if there is ice it just slides out. Right now we have 1 mortar tub and 2 of the ducks can get in it at a time and 1 washtub from the Dollar store and then we do have a kiddie pool with a hole dug next to it and lined but I was just thinking that in the winter I'm going to close up the kiddie pool.

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
  7. new2ducks

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    As you can see, both my males fit into the mortar tub!
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use motar tubs in the winter also, even my big gander can fit into it and have fun. I even use this [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. new2ducks

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    what an adorable picture!
    Can't wait to get a new camrera so we can zoom and get better pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by