Duck poop during summer weather = more flies?

chinwok

Chirping
Dec 15, 2019
I am worried about the summer weather arriving during the middle of the year because my pet Pekin duck always poops a lot. Obviously this will attract flies. My question, is if I spray the floor of my coop (concrete paver stones) with soap and water every day in the morning and evening, will flies still come?

Also, is there anything I can spray on the ground to prevent and control the flies? For example, Ivermectin or something similar?

I am worried about the summer weather arriving during the middle of the year because my pet Pekin duck always poops a lot. Obviously this will attract flies. My question, is if I spray the floor of my coop (concrete paver stones) with soap and water every day in the morning and evening, will flies still come?

Also, is there anything I can spray on the ground to prevent and control the flies? For example, Ivermectin or something similar?

I’d see how it goes. I would put pine shavings down and spot clean every few days. I’ve never had an issue with flies. A lot probably depends on your climate etc . I made mine a deck at the far end of their run where I keep their water so any they spill runs through the cracks in the deck boards and into a sand bed underneath. I used to spray the deck down every day but now I just throw pine where they mess it up every day or so and then haul it to the compost About every other week. It’s a lot less work than washing down every day.

I live in the SF Bay Area of California. So green Palmolive soap from Home Depot and a garden hose with nozzle jet are sufficient enough when used twice a day?

AB6716F9-B2DA-4A68-863B-6B401C586298.jpeg

This is my duck coop floor. Stone pavers with gravel around them. I spray the floor twice a day.

View attachment 1991415
This is my duck coop floor. Stone pavers with gravel around them. I spray the floor twice a day.
I would be a little worried about the birds drinking too much soapy water. But. . I guess if you've already been doing it they have been ok this far.
I honestly have more trouble with flies congregating around the feed. But I use deep litter in my runs.

I would be a little worried about the birds drinking too much soapy water. But. . I guess if you've already been doing it they have been ok this far.
I honestly have more trouble with flies congregating around the feed. But I use deep litter in my runs.

Thanks!
I remove my pet duck from the coop before I spray the ground with soap and water.

Not too much of a fly issue with our ducks either, our ducks also like to eat them which I think keeps the population down a bit.
Our pool is also on a deck which we hose down at least once a day and all the mess runs through to the ground.
Daily coop cleaning and its not bad at all. Very pretty duck you have, what a cutie :)

Back
Top Bottom