1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck pooping yolk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ziggyzeigler, Oct 11, 2015.

1. ziggyzeigler

ziggyzeigler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    My duck hasn't layed an egg the past 3 days and has pooped several piles of yolk. Is she okay, what should I do to help her?

2. IrelandEyes

IrelandEyes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like she may have a vitamin deficiency. First, make sure you make available to her free choice, oyster shell. It ups the calcium that a is used when she makes the egg shell.

It also couldn't hurt to give her a vitamin drench. You can buy a bottle of Poultry Drench at you local Tractor Supply Store. It comes with a black dropper so you can put it in her water or I have for my serious needing vitamin ducks I have actually used the dropper to give them some directly.

What food do you feed her?

Sending you good thoughts, and do let me know how it goes!

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    This sounds like she's had an egg break inside of her, which is quite serious and can lead to egg yolk peritonitis (a deadly infection in the abdominal cavity). I would suggest taking her to a vet asap. If this is what is going on, she needs antibiotics right away.

4. ziggyzeigler

Sep 27, 2015
    The food I give her is waterfowl maintenance diet extruded floating. I checked this morning and an egg was in the nest but I'm going ahead and ordering the oyster shell and poultry drench just to make sure.

5. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, good to hear she laid an egg today. Is she eating and acting normally for you?

6. ziggyzeigler

Sep 27, 2015
    She layed another egg this morning and yah she's eating just fine and acting the same aswell

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any egg shell shards in her poop? Please please watch her and if she starts slowing down, or gets a far-away look in her eye, get her some veterinary care if at all possible. Otherwise I would start her on antibiotics. I have lost two ducks to e.y.p. I am convinced if we intervene in time, we can save them. But they don't show symptoms.

That said, I have seen a duck pass some yolk, and then just a membrane, no shell, so it was an egg without a shell and I monitored her closely - she is fine.

8. ziggyzeigler

Sep 27, 2015
    I am defiantly keeping a close eye on her, nothing in her poop it all looks normal with no shell pieces in it. Thank you and everyone for the information and help.

9. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Sounds like good news! Like Amiga said, don't let your guard down, but she may be ok now. Ducks are pretty resilient sometimes.

10. ziggyzeigler

Sep 27, 2015
    So my duck layed an egg last night however in the afternoon I saw yolk in her pen, I don't think the egg shells are breaking in her but their's just a failure to produce an egg shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by