Duck possibly killing my chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justin Statham, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Justin Statham

Justin Statham In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2017
    Hello everyone. I have a flock of 12 Khaki Campbell ducks/ Hybrid 300's. 2 males and 10 females. I also have roughly 16 chickens and only 1 rooster. 10 ducks stay together in a pin ( I raised them from babies this december) and the other 2 ducks (male and Female) which are older stay with the chickens. Everyone gets along well and I think actually too well. The past 2 weeks I have had 2 hens die I think from my Male Duck mating with them. Both hens had exact same issue. When I found them there neck was wet and they were constantly pushing with their vent like they had a stuck egg or prolapse. My daughter saw the duck mounting them right before they get sick. I am suspecting the Drake is mounting them and puncturing something and ultimately killing them. They all free range together.

I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Is there anything I can do if I find another one like this to save it?

2. Is there anything I can do to prohibit the duck from mating with the hens. Currently the duck that's getting the hens is the one that stays with the chickens. They were all raised and hatched together and I knew ducks needed more females and that why I got the other 10. The only problem is the male shows no interest in the other flock. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Either keep the drake that is mating the chickens in a separate pen or rehome him. He won't stop and he will continue to kill them.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep the drake away from the chicken hens. Pen him or do whatever you need to do but he does not need access to the chickens.
    Chickens do not mate the same as ducks and hens are not made to accept penetration from a male duck!

If you find another hen in the same condition, I don't know if you can save her or not...possibly depending on the damage that is done.

4. Justin Statham

Justin Statham In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2017
    Thanks Everyone. I am going to put them in the pen with the other ducks and hopefully he will go after the other 8 duck hens.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: