Duck Posturing very strange

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happyhippiechik, Feb 22, 2015.

1. happyhippiechik

happyhippiechik Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have a Khaki Campbell female, about 9-10 months old. She was displaying some really strange posturing today and I thought perhaps she was egg bound. I soaked her in a warm water bath, lubed up a finger and went in. I didn't feel an egg, and there was no evidence of yolk that would indicate there was a broken egg in there. She was standing with her neck outstretched and high, the tip of her tail feathers touching the ground and her wings spread out on either side also touching the ground. The dreak proceeded to mount her and when he was through, she went back to the same posture again. She seems to be a little on the lighter side as far as her weight too. I have started her on electrolytes and made her a scrambled egg with a little acidophilus sprinkled into it. She is not interested in that or her regular feed. I have isolated her and put a heat lamp over the infirmary with plenty of space for her to get away from it if it's too warm. She is alert and looks good otherwise. Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks so much~
    Chris

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmm, except for the tail feathers, sounds like she was asking to mate. Mine hold their tales up.

Hmmmm….If she has an infection, that might cause things to be out of whack. If a vet is possible, I would consider getting some help.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I'm with Amiga, without more info or a video it's really tough to say. Although I will sheepishly admit when Wobbles first began showing mating behaviors I thought he had a horrible chest infection - the "squeek-squeek-WHOONK" sound he made startled me so much!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Video could help.

Has she been laying and then stopped? Sometimes egg problems cause really deformed, smaller masses in the oviduct. You might not be able to feel it, but she may have hormones raging because of it. Poor girl.

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yeah, the weight loss is particularly alarming. :/

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree - weight loss is a serious symptom.

See if you can get some help with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by