duck preditors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smokeyodie97, Feb 1, 2011.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    would a hawk attack a full grown duck?

2. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Yep, I am sure.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, they can and sometimes do. Though, I notice that most hawks do it out of desperation if their other food has become more difficult to obtain. This time of year can be hard for hawks and they are more likely to attack animals they don't normally bother when food is good.

4. Matapatos

Matapatos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    A hawk would take a full grown duck... They will fly off if one flies close by... I see that all the time as I am preying on ducks myself! [​IMG]

Travis

5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i have lost over 10 ducks this year to the hawks
    a pair of Cayuga
    4 BEI's
    1 Muscovie
    and a few pekins

all to RED TAILED HAWKS

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Yup...haven't lost any myself becuz I keep them in a covered area, but we have lot's of red-tailed hawks around here and eagles. I let them out on the lawn to hang out and it's not 2 minutes before someone is circling overhead.

7. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I thankfully havent had an problems with hawks yet. Which is amazing since there is actually a nest sitting right above my covered duck pen, and another about 200 yards away. I think its probally due to the fact there there are at least fifty little birds at the bottom of my yard eating from my compost pile. I have walked outside to see hawks watching my ducks a couple of times. I think the other reson is that I only have 2 ducks at the moment. I have a muscovy male and female, my drake is 2 .5 years old and tipping the scale at 16 pounds so he is a very big duck. My female is still very small, she is only 4 months old and she is like my drakes shadow. There has only been one time that I have seen her more than a couple feet away. While I have not had any problelms yet, the day I do is the day the hawks in my yard die regarless of what the law says.

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I lost my best drake last fall to red tailed hawk. I was speaking to Holderread about it and he said he had a red tailed hawk that had figured out how to get into one of his brooder houses and was coming daily until he figured it out and fortified it. This year I had a coopers hawk come and pick off some of the young ones. the hawk was too small to actually fly away with the bird so each of the 4 times the hawk came in and killed, I was able to scare him off before he got to dine on his kill. So far he hasn't been back.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A hawk sure will take out a duck. If it can't fly off with it, it will behead it and eat the head. Owls will do the same thing. We have had problems with BOTH in my suburban neighborhood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by