duck pricing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by solarquail, Jul 7, 2010.

1. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    how much does a buff drake usually cost? and a welsh harlequin hen usually cost?

2. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    anyone?

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Well I have neither of those, but there are a few different factors that contribute to the price. The main three I would say are age, quality and sex. Remember, pricing varies loads so you'd be better off looking at a variety of different sellers and see what's best for you [​IMG]

1. Age - A duckling will be a lot less than an adult bird, maybe around $/£12 whereas an adult could be double.
    2. Quality - If you want excellent quality for showing or for good produce, you wil probably have to pay more than for a duck that will be a pet.
    3. Sex - Males may cost less than females as people will generally want to get rid of excess drakes so are willing to sell them at a lower price, whereas females are more sought after as of course they produce eggs and more are needed in a flock than drakes, so a female is likely to be a bit more.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Not sure, but at the feed store for my pekin and rouen I paid $3.00 each when they was 1 wk old.
    I wonder if it is the same for all ducks that little?

5. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I bought my indian runners for £12 each (not sure what that is in $) but as StormyMoon shows, the price can vary hugely. I guess ultimately it may just depend on how desperate the seller is to get rid of them [​IMG]

6. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    so does 15 for a welsh har hen real good quality about a year and a half old hen sound good? to low? to high?

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In my area that would be a good price.

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
  9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

its all going to depend on 1) demand of your area - the more demand the higher the price. 2) the quality - better quality animals are going to be more expensive.

A hatchery duckling 3-5$
    Breeder 3-10$

adult
    hatchery- 10-15$
    breeder - 15-40$ depending on breed, age, sex, and quality.

a good quality adult WH hen - 15$ is a very good price even here in my area where ducks aren't in high demand.

If your looking to sell - offer a bit higher than your expecting to get back, say 20$, then lower every few days/weeks 2-3$ till you get someone to hook and buy.,

If your looking to buy @ 15$ - offer 10$ if you can come pick it up immediately that day...(i've gotten many good deals doing this off craigslist) they may or may not take it - but you can atleast say your tried - and still go get it and pay the 15$.

10. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Here it goes by age, our feed store hatches their own eggs and then sells the chicks, day olds are 2.50 each and then each week they go up 1.00

It was explained to me the more they have to feed them the higher the price goes.

Breed also has something to do with it show ducks will be a lot higher in price I assume.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by