Duck problem...Need advise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hatterasbd01, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hatterasbd01

Hatterasbd01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    I have a three-year-old crested duck who's not laying eggs she has laid soft eggs the last couple weeks looking for a liquid calcium to give her I found a liquid calcium called Calquick at a local vitamin store that is just a calcium-based made out of oyster shells was looking for a dosage recommendation for her or another way to help her out. The oyster shells she spits out. As of today she hasn't layer an egg in 4 days and now she is just laying around not eating.Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Backyard community

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think it's 250mgs per day I give Calcium citrate and put it in their drinking water @Amiga puts it in some smashed up peas.

Calquick should be fine.

Have you tried letting her soak in a nice tub of warm water for a while[supervised] If she has any eggs that need to come out having a relaxing soak can sometimes help.

@Hatterasbd01 Welcome to BYC

3. Hatterasbd01

Sep 7, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advise, question tho the calcium citrate you put in the water. What is that a pill you dissolve in the water or a luquid? Is it something I can do for my duck?

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You can put the oyster shell into an old nylon stocking and pound it into a smaller crumble or powder and make her a bowl of veggies just for her and give her that every couple of days to build up her calcium.......I have a few tricks up my sleeve being Ducks can be picky !!!!
    Lol

Cheers!

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    These are capsules I open the capsules up and put them into their heated water bucket. Sure you can do it for your duck one of my ducks[ pretty sure it was one of my Buffs] was laying rubber[soft eggs] then I started adding the cal citrate to their water 2x a week and no more soft shell.

I like @chickens really idea too but why not do that and just lay the stocking with the Oyster shell right into the bucket of water.

@Hatterasbd01

6. chickens really

Do you always have to be so smart Miss Lydia??......Really do you?...........Your the best....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  7. Hatterasbd01

Sep 7, 2014
    Ok 2 more questions, I have one duck and I purchased some calcium citrate pills,1000mg each, how many should I put in her water and how many tumes a week? And I also purchased the liquid calcium to give her orally , you said roughly 250 mgs and just use a dropper and give it to by mouth

8. chickens really

Why not oyster shells???

I'm confused!!!!????

Cheers

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you give by mouth make sure it's just inside the bill not down the thraot where it could go into her air sacs. I open 3 capsules and put into a 2 gal bucket of water 2X week spread out Like this week it was Monday and Thursday.

I keep Oyster shell out for mine all the time and they eat them too. But when you have one having soft shell I like to give them extra [email protected] really

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  10. chickens really

Oh, okay .......got ya! .....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by