DUCK PROBLEMS PLS HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mathew Lim, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mathew Lim

Mathew Lim New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Hi guys my friend bought me a duckling and now i really love it but i wanted to know if it's a boy or a girl,and another thing alot of people say that duckling like to eat mael worms i bought a lot of meal worms but when i arrived home i fed him but he doesnt like to eat it he just scattred it around his cage and slashes it with water LOL -.- can you help me guys,and let me know how to know if a duckling is a boy or a girl and let me know ,If i didn't use an incubator after a duckling lays an egg wouldn't it hatch a duckling???

2. toowoombapekins

toowoombapekins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm a bit of a beginner myself, but judging from your avatar, I think your duckling would be too young at the moment to eat meal worms.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For now, I would start out with waterfowl starter crumbles if you can get it, turkey-waterfowl crumbles (what I could find), or unmedicated chick starter, with added brewer's yeast (a sprinkling on each bowl) or niacin capsules (plain, not no-flush or timed release) at 100 mg per gallon of water.

And if the little does not have duckling buddies, he will be stressed unless you can be with him 24/7. There are solutions - you may be able to keep him with you, or you can get an unbreakable mirror and stuffed toy, or you may decide to take in another one or two his size.

Too early to tell the sex easily, by 3 or 4 weeks the voice probably will tell you. Loud is girls, quieter is boys.

1 person likes this.
  4. RouenDuck

RouenDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Also, take a look at the thread on raising ducklings in the stickies. The link to the stickies is at the top of the duck forum.

Please keep us updated!

6. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    You will be able to tell if it is a boy or girl around 3 or 4 weeks as Amiga said. Honking noises means girl. Boys make a raspy sounding noise. Also, when it gets its feathers males have curled tail feathers. Hope this helps!

Your duckling is adorable! Do you know what kind of duck it is?

1 person likes this.
  7. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    As Amiga mentioned - you may want to get him a companion unless he can be around you all of the time. Ducks get lonely.
    That's where things start to get complicated, though. If you have a boy then you'll probably want another boy. Unless you want three ducks, then you can have a boy and two girls. If it's a girl then you'll want another girl.

As for mealworms - skip them and just use peas. Much cheaper and I've never seen an animal love anything so much as mine love peas. Although your duck may be too small for them for a few weeks.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Smashed peas with an offering of grit.

9. DuckiesRMyThing

DuckiesRMyThing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    You really need to get some duck food! get food 4 game bird or specifically 4 ducks. DO NOT FEED IT CHICKEN FEED!!!!!! When it gets older you can ALSO add worms, any kind. Make sure to break up the food into tiny pieces otherwise it may choke. GOOD LUCK!!! [​IMG]

about the telling if it is a boy or girl, if it is a welsh harlequin, you can tell by beak color, if not, you'll have to tell when it is older. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  10. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've been using generic layer pellets for years with no problem. There's no way I could keep chickens and ducks both and give them each their own feed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by