Duck processing questions

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Wildsky, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    OK, I might just HAVE to take care of two or all three male muscovies.
    I've offered them to some folks near-by and no go.

They're about 4 or 5 months old now and just taking OVER the back yard - I see them grabbing chicken tails and harrassing the dog etc..

Anyway - if there are any threads that are specific to duck and or muscovy processing - please link me up!

Any advise please give it! I've never processed anything - and this is going to be really hard for me.

I'll need help and hand-holding all the way. I might need some therapy afterwards. I do have to find a really sharp knife or something before I even go near them, so this might not happen for a little while.
    [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My best advise - take your time, pluck well, don't tear the skin.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I've seen some folks saying to pluck without scalding. What do you think?

I don't think I have a pot big enough to scald these guys - they're HUGE. If I have to scald to pluck them, I might just go ahead and try skinning.

Do you pluck before you clean out the insides?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Pluck without scalding if you can. Duck skin is like gold when properly crisped in cooking. Hopefully you won't have too many pin feathers to deal with. If you have to scald keep the water below 165 and only dunk for a few seconds at a time.

You can do it. This one is for the girls team. We can raise and prepare our own meat for our family table.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Get some good strong help 1st thing, Muscovies are large and powerful with very sharp claws and don't like having their head removed. [​IMG]

We skin ours it's much easier and faster than plucking.

Steve in NC

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:My hubby will have to help then.
    Is there a good time of day to catch them? Like chickens being sleepy in the evening or?

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We use a large fish landing net for catching them, you can walk right up to them at night though and put them in a cage or something 'till the next day to process.

Steve in NC

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I've asked my hubby if he can in turn ask a friend of ours to come over and help with the deed - even just doing the first chop.

I told my hubby his friend can have one of the ducks if he'll do that for us. And if he's going to do that, it might be a good time to take care of a rooster as well. [​IMG]

9. rubyv67

rubyv67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Daggett,CA
    [​IMG]I read scalding will cause they skin to tear. If their claws could get you, maybe a bungee on the ankles.They taste so much better with skin. Girls are just as capable at processing.You can do it!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm likely to start very CRYING if I have to witness the head chop. I hate to dang CRY its so darn GIRLIE! [​IMG] (ruins the reputation)

And I swear I might cry if you drop a hat!

I "think" I can handle the rest of it. I don't even know if I will be able to EAT the darn duck, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by