duck processing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hitnspit, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    anyone on here put ducks in a whizbang plucker. I dont see why it would not work but just asking?.....jim

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I've used my home made rotary plucker on ducks that I raised. The trick is to add dishwashing detergent to the scalding water to take care of the oil in the duck feathers. Depending on the breed and age of duck it should work great.

3. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    Thank you.....

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Without something to cut the water repellent on their feathers you won't be able to get a good scald. I've never been able to get a duck with its skin still intact... Usually they're skinned, cut up (generally the best part of the bird is the breast and legs, but the entire thing has a decent amount of meat on it), and cooked in cream of chicken soup.

I've heard that the best way to get the feathers off a duck with the skin left behind, is to pluck them when they're totally dry. I haven't yet been able to test that, but it sure doesn't work when they're wet!

I use a homemade plucker. It's basically a piece of large PVC pipe with rubber bungie cords cut and fitted to act as the "fingers." They're too long, so they kind of slap the bird, so it's back to the drawing board with that invention. It's powered by a big drill mounted onto a counter top to spin it around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by