duck prosthetics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vbbgranch, Mar 3, 2017.

1. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    my muscovy i posted about winter of 2016 lost his legs im so heart broken because now all he does is lay there and if i try to touch him he hops away.

i was thinking about doing a pair of prosthetic feet for him but im unsure of where to go or how to find them or get the funding for them :/

if i cant do feet for him i have to put him down because hes just so sad since his mate died that winter :( do muscovy ducks mate for life or something??

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear that your drake lost his feet. It must be very difficult for both of you.

If you search the web, there are at least a couple of stories of ducks with prosthetic feet created with a 3D printer. This one is about Phillip, who lost his feet to frostbite: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...in-autumn-farm-animal-sanctuary-a6992656.html. You may want to outreach to schools near you to see if they have a 3D printer and if they would be willing to help. Local animal rescue organizations may have contacts or be able to point you in the right direction, too.

While I don't think Muscovies necessarily mate for life, they do become bonded, so it may help your drake if you got him a few female companions (more than one, if feasible, would actually be better for all).

Best of luck to you and your special needs duck. I hope he can get his new feet soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @vbbgranch I don't know what part of the country your in but I know Carolina Waterfowl has helped some of their rescues with prosthetic feet and bills so you might at least contact them for a contact .

So very sorry about your drake but I do agree with FoodFreedomNow getting him a few girls might perk him up while you working on finding him some feet. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by