Duck purring/vibrating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kimsducks, Aug 9, 2016.

1. kimsducks

kimsducks New Egg

Aug 9, 2016
    Hi there, I am a new duck owner, I have a blue swedish and a cayuga, 2 weeks old both are not sexed.

I have been working with them daily and taming them, hand feeding, etc.

Today I began teaching them to "come" when called. After this I was sitting and my blue- Quinn, decided to snuggle up in my lap voluntarily and rest her chest against my hand. Later my cayuga- Barnaby decided to join. When Barnaby left, Quinn stayed in my lap (I was not holding Quinn in any way that would require her/him to stay) but Quinn's beak/head began vibrating here and there.

I looked into this in other forums- but most responses are suggesting this is a territorial/mating behavior which in these circumstances I would not assume true. Any one have any suggestions or experience with this behavior?

Here is a photo of how they were snuggling before Barnaby left and this happened. [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At 2 weeks old I don't think it would have any thing to do with dominance or mating more like a feeling of contentment.

Welcome to BYC @kimsducks

3. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I have older ducks. I've witnessed many kinds of head vibration. Since you were holding/cuddling them I think it was probably just I feel so safe and happy and loved!

4. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Awww! That's so sweet.
    What are you doing to help encourage this behavior?
    I would LOVE my now 4 day olds to do this eventually!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by