Duck quacking funny

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosewarrior, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    My Female Welsh Harlequin isn't quacking much, and when she does quack, she sounds like a squeeky toy. I think she may have eaten something she shouldn't have. She is a house duck and only goes out with supervision. Does anyone know what might be the problem and should I take her to the vet? Please help me.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    your female welsh harlequin is a male. If it is quacking like its raspy then its a boy.

3. Rosewarrior

Feb 1, 2011
    I know it's a female, thanks for the suggestion though. I've had a boy before, and she doesen't sound like a boy. This sounds almost exactly like a squeeky toy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hhhhhmmmmmm???? I have a male call duck drake that sounds like that. Hes starting to get his curl too. Can you post a pic of her?

5. Rosewarrior

Feb 1, 2011
    I think so... just a sec . gotta hunt down my camera. LOL.

6. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Rosewarrior - I have a female doing the same thing. I got home yesterday from work and they were all laying in the shade in front of the house and everyone gave me their little quacks hello...but I got one that sounded exactly like you describe. My "ladies" (5) are out all day from early a.m. to around 7 or 8 pm when I shut them in for the night. No one appears ill or "out of sorts". I let them out this a.m. and I'm pretty sure I heard the little squeak again. My initial thought was "did I miss something and one of them is a male" (they hatched June 21st) but I know they are all females. I only have one drake. I wondered too if there was something caught in her throat, but like I said everyone is happy and busy as normal. I'll keep track of this thread and will also let you know if something comes up with mine [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ca.t wait to see your WH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by