Duck question from a new guy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mr.Grantly, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I'm thinking about raising ducks. What is the best breed to get started with? I live in canada so 11 months out of the year its hard to keep water freezing do they really need water? Can I keep them with my chickens?

Thanks
    Grant

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I wouldn't keep them with chickens, they both eat different food and ducks drink so much more water. It's okay if swimming water freezes, but they always need drinking water. A good breed to start out with is probably pekins, runners, khaki campbells, or muscovies.

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i'd go with muscovies. i am new too i've had mine since october. muscovies are soo fun and have cute personalities. i am sure all ducks do hahaha but i love my mussies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Mr.Grantly :

I'm thinking about raising ducks. What is the best breed to get started with? I live in canada so 11 months out of the year its hard to keep water freezing do they really need water? Can I keep them with my chickens?

Thanks
    Grant

You're asking if a duck needs water?​

5. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:You're asking if a duck needs water?

welllllll muscovies aren't as keen to water as other ducks. mine get a bath once a day and jump out of the tub when i open the door........

6. slaghunter

slaghunter Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Stafford, VA
    My ducks live with my chickens. They all eat the same food. Layer ration and whatever they can find in the yard (free range) and any scraps from the kitchen. I live in VA and have a small stream so water is not a problem. I think that most ducks - maybe not scovies - need water to bathe in. they will preen after swimming - or while swimming - this is what keeps there oil glands active and their feathers water proof. On the up side they do not need a lot of water. A small kiddie pool is all they really need. If you are really interested in ducks I would suggest some type of solar or geothermal water heater to keep the water from freezing. They are really not that complicated and can be done on a small scale by the average home owner. [​IMG]

7. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:i agree. my scovies get a bath once a day. i raise them in my bedroom. they are house duckies and spoiled. as spoiled as they can be from an unemployed mommy. [​IMG]

8. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    Chickens and ducks can live together, but i find that ducks like the wet and chickens love the dry.

Also, ducks love making the waterers muddy. But they have so much fun in the kiddie pools that you'll wind up changing the water often just to watch them play! [​IMG]

I'm in Canada also, with Pekins, Runners and Khaki Campbells. I love them all for different reasons, but Pekins can be a little prone to leg injuries because of their size (and with mine-running through blackberry bushes and tripping). The Runners and Campbells are quiet and gentle and my current faves! Physically they are very low maintenance and hardy. They both are very good layers with surprisingly large eggs for their body size.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

My first thought when I read your question was, "what do you want?"

Pets?
    Layers?
    Meat?
    Dual purpose?

From what I read, by comparison to a number of small animals, ducks are fairly low maintenance once you provide for their safety from predators and access to enough water to keep themselves clean. Some breeds do need water deep enough to swim in for mating, I am told.

Also, is noise a factor? I am told that call ducks can be noisy and runners are relatively (emphasis - relatively) quiet.

In my case, I wanted 1) slug destroyer 2) Japanese beetle destroyer 3) fertilizer 4) eggs and because of my neighborhood, 5) relatively quiet (though I doubt any duck can hold a candle to the neighbors' kids, dogs, and loud mufflers, [​IMG] but, hey, it is a family neighborhood [​IMG] ) and 6) cute.

I chose runners after doing some 'net research. There are a number of sites that walk you through choosing breeds. I find BYC Duck forum the best, though, because here are all kinds of people who have all kinds of ducks (and other animals), who, in my experience, are all kinds of kind! [​IMG]

10. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    muscovies are very quiet too. my drake barely has any voice. that's why they are able to stay in my room lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by