1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yotetrapper, Jun 13, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Do ducks NEED water to swim in? I got one duck I was wanting to keep with my chickens (he's being raised with baby chicks now) but will I need to get him a pool or something??

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    ducks dont need a pool but are happier with one

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They don't need a pool but they sure would love to have one.

They do need a water container that is deep enough they can submerge their long beaks (even dunk their heads [​IMG] ). They need it to keeptheir nostrils cleaned out. When you clean out their waterers you will see residue of feed in the bottom of the water. This is where they blow out their nairs.

You can get a very small little pool for about $5 - 6 at a dollar store or k-mart. Make sure you use blocks or bricks to make a stairway in and out until it is big enough to safely get out. Young ducklings (under 3 weeks) get very tired and can drown. Also young ducklings do not make enough oil to coat their feathers where the water will run off so they can chill easily which the same as chicks is not good.

Please, please, please get another duck. The duck needs a companion of his own kind to live with.

If the duckling is male when mating season comes they cam be agressive and will mate your chickens. Drakes can be visicous about mating and cause injuries to your hens. Please get him a duck buddy and think about giving them their own little duck yard. Chickens will not appreciate the water and mess ducks create.

Ducks are messy messy messy. Very cute but MESSY.

4. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    I started with one pekin.... I had no idea how 'social' they really are. It would not stop yapping every time i left the room, so I gave it a stuffed duck toy. The duck fell in love with the toy and would never leave it's side... so I ended up getting a duck so he would have a buddy.

Now those two are literally inseperable! A night I round them up to put them in the coop... when I put one in the coop, the both start quacking hysterically until I get the second duck into the coop. Its fun to watch. During the day I don't think they stray more than 1 or 2 feet from each other at most.

5. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well I want another duck but so far my husband has adamantly said no. I dont know what sex he/she is yet. I'm pretty sure he turned out to be a muscovey although no signs of the red things yet. He is about 4 weeks old now. Right now we're in the middle of coop contruction for chickens, maybe when I'm done i can make a duck pen too. I'll get him a pool.

6. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Forgot to mention... chickens & kiddie pools don't mix.

Unless you're there to save them... the chickens will jump in and drown. My ducks live with my chickens, but I keep the pool outside of the run and let the ducks out to swim.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tell him he can't say no. You need a companion for that duck.

Or tell him I said he can't say no. This is an animal who deserves a fair shake and a companion will make a huge difference in his social behavior and interaction on your lil farmstead.

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    If he does let me get one, does it need to be the same breed or will any breed do?

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It doesn't matter. Just get that duck a companion. Please.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If you have a scovy drake, I would get another scovy drake. Otherwise any duck will do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by