duck question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by c.wilson, Jul 7, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    hi i have 8 ducks there all a mix of some sort except for my pekin most of them can fly a little but( lift itself up off the ground). i have them right now living in an addition on the outside of my chicken house. they have the chicken house and everything around it looking horrible its all muddy and everything. i have a kiddie pool for them now and tey make it brown as soon as i let them in it. i have a pond like 100-150 yards from my house and its sort of in a valley in a way. it is surrounded by woods and I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN WILD DUCKS IN IT BEFORE MAYBE A HERON BUT THATS IT.i was wondering if they would do ok if i took them down to the pond to live because i hate the way my chicken house looks. they are free-ranging right now and they also go up to the house and trash the flowers beds where there is any standing water. i hate that. it also makes my house look bad when i have guests. i was wondering if that would be ok to take them down there to live. like i said ther can fly,only 4 out of the eight cant fly so i was just wondering.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Hmmm-- Duck experts??

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If I had a pond you better believe they would be living there. How lucky you are! I really want to build a small pond.

As they are domesticated you'll need to provide a small shelter ans supplement their feed.

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    well I don't know I just got my ducks yesterday but Miss Prissy is the local duck expert and I'm sure she'll weigh in on this if she sees it.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    SEE!
    [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am not a duck expert. TerrieLacy is the expert.

7. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    ok thanks i have a shelter already built in my barn i just need to put it in the pond. i think i am going to take them down there today. thanks again everybody. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Are there any snapping turtles in the pond? They really like ducks and I don't mean as friends. That may be why you've never seen any wild ducks land there. Then agai there's always Mink to thhink about. They hunt near water.
    As a general rule turning domestic ducks loose on an unsecured pond w/o a secure night time house results in a reduction in the duck population.

9. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    ok thank you i did not know that. i might just build them a little pond by my house where i can see any action that takes place there.
    thanks again. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by