1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck questions. Appreciate some advice ! ;o)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by I*Eat*Chickens*Yum, May 7, 2009.

1. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

My local feed store has white pekins for sale. My lovely daughters are BEGGING daddy to allow them to get one each.

I looked over the site here for some advice on raising ducks but haven't really found what I was looking for. Can someone who has raised ducks please help? I have 30 chickens whom I care for with great detail and want to be well informed to provide properly for the ducks if I cave in ! lol

1. I have a wonderful albeit small pond in my yard which would be perfect for two ducks. Do White Pekins need to be fenced in ? Predators aren't a serious threat as my dogs are always loose and do a great job of keeping them away. And my dogs love my chicks and hang out with them without bothering them.

2. Can I provide a small shelter for them near the pond like say a dog house and would that be adequate shelter ? Will they go in at night automatically like my free range chickens do ?

3. Will they stay at the pond and generally not wander off like my chickens do knowing their shelter and food source location ? My chickens free range and are always in the coop roosting come dusk.

4. Will eating medicated chicken grower harm the ducks ?

5. Any other advice you can offer on raising two Pekins ?

Thank you all. This is such a great site and you are are wonderful, well informed members ! I have relied on this site and the members input heavily for the success I have had raising my chickens !

2. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    I just posted a question about our huge pekin ducks. Evidently they grow large very quickly. My youngest daughter missed out on all the cuddling because they got too big too fast. We were used to other breeds of ducks growing up slower and we could hold them for many weeks more.

3. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I love Pekins I have always had at least two around. You can also eat them, they have tasty meat [​IMG]

They will stay at the pond, but ducks in general don't like to go in at night. You can free range them, but I would have a small fenced area with dog house in it to herd them to and shut them in at night. Being they are white they stick out at night and owls love them.

Dog house is fine. they can't have medicated feed as babies. The medication over medicates a duck and they will get very sick and die. I feed non-medicated starter as babies and as long as they are free ranging scratch grain as adults. They will make mud at your ponds edge and will eat any frogs, fish, and such that'a in the pond. If you have snapping turtles in pond forget the duck, cause you'll not have them long.

Any other questions just ask.

Julie

4. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Quote:You must have had the Jumbo Pekins. There is 2 types and the Jumbos do grow really fast, but they are made for meat.

Julie

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    We have three Pekins and they are full of personality.Like your girls mine begged and begged and finaly gave in [​IMG]
    Only down side to owning ducks compared to chickens is they are extremly mesy!
    To answer some of your questions here's my experience. They don't have to be fenced in but would advice so as they don't move very quickly and anything could get to them even your dogs but it's up to you.
    Dog house would work great! We have one for ours but they never go in it.LOL! Most likey they will stay right next to your pond and not wonder.
    Medicated feed is not good for ducks as they can over dos. and it kill them.They eat like little pigs! UNmedicated is highly recommended.
    Our Pekins are so much fun to watch. Be prepared to have a large brooder as they grow very fast and don't feather out completly for 6-8weeks.We used a kiddie pool in our garage.Good luck!!

6. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all. I'm thinking I am going to get a couple. I'm going to put up some sort of fence to keep them close and try to shoo them towards the dog house at night !

Again thanks !

7. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

My duck Mack (female) is a 1/2 Pekin and 1/2 Rouen. Here is a pict. she's great and lays HUGE eggs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck and have fun.

8. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Mack is really pretty. In that last pic you can see the roos tail feathers and it looks like Mack has hair lol

Julie

9. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    [​IMG] to funny!

10. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

That's funny your right! I don't know why I didn't notice it before. LOL
    Thanks farmertank! I love my "Puppy Duck"! She loves to get in her nest in a clear view container

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by