Duck questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by acire67, Oct 11, 2012.

1. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Hi, I've had chickens for several years, and we're considering getting a few Muscovy ducks (they're about 5 months old). I'm wondering if ducks lay eggs at all in the winter. At what age do they generally start laying? We're in NY, I don't use lights in my coop, but my chickens still lay some eggs during the cold months. I know that Muscovies are better for meat than eggs; what breeds would you suggest for eggs & temperament? Just in case we want to add a few more. [​IMG] My husband thinks our coop will become wet & dirty with ducks; how do those of you with both chickens & ducks keep the coop from being a wet mess? Do the chickens and ducks get along okay? Can they all eat chicken food? I've heard it's more difficult to get ducks into the coop at night. Thanks in advance.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well i'll try and help a touch, all i own are Muscovy, i have 17 so a pretty good sized flock lol I had some start laying at 4mths, that said i think generally 5-6mths is more common.

I still have one duck laying right now and were hovering at freezing most nights, but i have a few who are in various stages of molting so that will knock laying out the door. I have gotten eggs in winter but it's hit n miss. I don't mind as i have more than enough but i know other breeds are better for laying just depends on what your goals are.

I have chickens but they aren't housed together, i know people do but with 17 i am full and the chickens would not appreciate the water or size of the Muscovy boys [​IMG]

I don't find it difficult to get my ducks in they herd well, we have taught them from young to do so and the mums have taught the babies to do so, frankly i find chickens harder to catch but maybe mine just prefer the game lol

I use a flock raiser here vs chicken and separate ducks feeds, keeps thing simple. I like simple.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Thanks so much for getting back to me & sharing your experiences. I'm going to take a look at the ducks this weekend, and decide whether it will work out or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by