Duck questions...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arkeus, Sep 13, 2016.

1. arkeus

arkeus New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been reading a few threads here and there when google searches bring up searches but we had a few questions regarding a couple of our ducks. We have six ducks, Seven, Blue, Daisy, Roux, Pepper and Chia.

The first questions revolve around our newest two, a couple ancona ducks that are just over four weeks old. One, named Pepper, is quacking and is larger than the other one. The littler one is named Chia, still makes peeps but makes weird shrieks when we try to pet Chia's chest. Theyre both rather attached to us, though Pepper is much more so than Chia. Pepper is much more docile, while Chia seems to have a more independent personality. Their picture is below. Is there usually this much of a size difference between ducks the same age? Is Chia a boy? They're both very chattery, but since Pepper has already started to quack some, we thought maybe Chia is a drake.

[​IMG]

Our next question revolves another of our ducks, older, they turn 12 weeks tomorrow, named Seven. Seven is a black swede and while around 6 weeks old, suffered a concussion and was out of it for several hours, about 4 or so, then started coming back around to herself. The other three of our older ducks are quacking like crazy, but Seven rarely makes any noise. She doesnt have a drake feather and but the other day after going to the fair, we heard her making a weird noise almost like she was attempting to quack but couldnt really make any noise at all. It was more like an asmatic smokers cough. At the fair we did see some drakes that were doing a more frog/toad ribbit type of quack. Any idea what might be going on? Is Seven a drake? Should we change her name to Ryker?

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    If they were boys they should have changing voices.Something like a hissing raspy type sound and once it is filled out it may sound more raspy and they have odd body languages and ways of talking.Hens just quack and by now should be quacking.

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Curls still may not be there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by