Duck Questions...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lacrystol, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OK, got some questions,
    First I'm new at incubating call ducks, I had 13 but one was a quitter. All 12 are doing good, need to know if they hatch what kind of flooring should they get? For my chickens, I used paper towels and shelf gripping.

Now if for some reason my duck ends up with Spraddled legs, what do I do. For chickens, I have use a hair tie and within 24 hours the problem is solved, can the same procedure be used for ducks? Bandaid method just wasn't working for me..

I also would give my chickens polyvisol, can I give this to my ducks as well?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to Duckdom!

Congratulations!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OMG thank you soo much, one more question for you. Chickens take 21 days lockdown is on day 18. From what I have read Call ducks take 27 days so would lockdown be day 24 and when should I stop turning. I usually stop turning the eggs for chickens on day 17 should I stop one extra day before lockdown for the ducks as well?

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Another question, ha haha, I heard that call ducks are really hard to hatch because of there small little beaks and sometimes need help. I also know they take longer to come out of the shell then a chicken. At what point should I be concerned that the duck isn't going to come out and interveen?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't hatched any ducklings, myself, so I suggest you try a search of the duck forum. From what I have read, you have some good information.

Duck eggs that I get from my runners have very thick shells, and I have seen quite a number of posts about people needing to help the process. There are some particular cautions you will need to learn about. . . . let me see if I can find one or two recent threads that may give you some help.

See if this helps . . . it is long, but there is some good, specific technical information.

***might help if I actually pasted the link, eh? *****[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...internally-3-days-ago-but-no-external-pip-yet

Oh, and jbourget recently posted about his successes with hatching calls, so you might pm him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644219/gettin-darn-good-at-hatchin-call-ducklings-pics

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Thank you I have just PM'ed him....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by