1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cutechick53, Feb 12, 2015.

1. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Hello, I would like to raise ducks along with the new flock of chickens that I'm getting. I have a lot of questions. Can they live peacefully alongside chickens? I live in the city, are there some breeds that are quiet enough? (I've heard Muscovy ducks are the quietest, is that true?) If they are noisy could I put a rooster collar on them? (I've never used a rooster collar before, are they cruel?) Do they eat a lot? Are their eggs tasty? Does it take a lot of time caring for them? Can I get just one or do I need to buy more than one to keep them company? Is there anything I need to know before I buy a duckling? Thanks!

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Muscovys are very quiet because they don't quack its more of a hiss kinda thing. If they get along with chickens it does depend on the ducks personality, and you have to be aware of the pecking order so if a duck does jump on a chicken it might not be a real fight but more assertion of dominance thing.
    I recommend haveing water so they can swim and be happy and all that jazz,
    I don't know what you mean by if they eat alot , but they eat enough to sustain their appeties if thats what you mean.
    Muscovys do lay nice eggs that work well in baked goods.
    You do have to put work in for careing for them, you genuinly have to love them becuase it can be alot of work, but then again its alot of work for all ducks.
    Ducks do best with other ducks but some people say that ducks get along just fine alone with chickens, but i would recommend have 2 ducks.

I don't rooster collars are fitted for ducks, the ones in the tractor supply store look to small, but i havent tried nor do i want to put one on my ducks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    They can live peacefully with chickens but not all do. It will depend on the individual birds.
    Muscovy's are quiet. Some area have regulations about owning them as they can be considered a problem with pushing out local birds from their environment so you will want to look into that.
    Drakes do not make noise, they sound like they have larangytis. Only the females quack and they are loud. Again it will depend on the individual bird for how noisy they are. I have one girl that I can hear in my living room with all the windows closed. That is 200' from the duck pen! She seems to quack just to hear herself. Most of my others quack when they see us, to be let out in the morning and to get dinner in the evening.
    Rooster collars work on the anatomy of a rooster and prevent them from moving the large amount of air they need to crow. Ducks are different so I doubt it would work.
    Dependent on the breeds, yes they will eat more than a chicken because they are bigger than a chicken.
    Their eggs taste very similar to chicken eggs. Most of my family and friends cannot tell the difference.
    I have my ducks care down to a science and can get away with 15 minutes of work daily with a large pen/coop cleaning taking about one hour once per week. However in the beginning it was a mess and a ton of work.
    Ducks are MESSY! A drop of water is all they need to make a muddy mess. :)
    I would recommend getting at least two. Birds of a feather flock togehter. :)
    I would read through the duckling care thread on this blog and purchase Storey's guide to raising ducks for more info.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    They can live with them but funny enough the ducks will be dominate, but very hard to keep the cage dry!

1 person likes this.
  5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  6. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Sorry, I should clarify.
    Muscovy's hiss.
    Duck drakes rasp and duck females quack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by