Duck-raised ducklings question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by douglas, Aug 2, 2010.

1. douglas

douglas New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    One of my ducks has been setting for approximately 4 weeks and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of new ducklings! My question has to do with warmth. It is now August and the temperature drops to about 16 degrees Celsius at night. Do I need to provide a heat lamp for the ducklings or will mama duck be able to keep them warm enough by herself?

Also, another duck has just begun setting yesterday and her babies will hatch in September, which will bring even colder nights. Her nest is outside of the duckhouse. Will I have a problem with warmth then or again, should mama be able to take care of that herself?

Thanks!

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    The 'mom' ducks should be able to keep them plenty warm, even in the cooler weather. I've never had a problem (though on a couple of occasions I've taken in a duckling or two that look weaker than the rest, who mom seemed to be ignoring). I think the ducklings are friendlier when raised by humans in a brooder -- but it's a lot of work, so I tend to leave them with the mother ducks.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mom is perfectly able to keep them warm. They will, however, be friendlier if you brood them.

4. douglas

douglas New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    Thank you for your answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by