Duck recipes wanted!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hi!
    I am unfamiliar with cooking duck, other than just roasting/baking (these are Pekins).
    Most of the recipes I find are mostly about extravagant sauces and really high fat/cholesterol.

Anyone have Pekin duck recipes (or recipes using duck) that skip the added fat and are just about the duck?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hate to say it but without the extra fat the duck isn't always as good to eat. Properly cooked though most of that fat will drain away and not be as large of your meal per portion as you may think. The secret to good duck is often braising the pieces for the browning and sealing then slow cooking it in the oven for it to be tender.

I prefer my duck in the winter or cooler months so most of the recipes I have are for heavy winter suppers to keep you warm.

I have very few warm weather recipes. I hope you like this one.

Duck (or goose) - brought up to room temp
    3 chopped apples
    2 chopped onions
    Salt, pepper, garlic or a Mrs. Dash type poultry seasoning
    berry flavored wine coolers - unchilled room temp

Wash and pat dry the duck (or goose.)

Fill the cavity with a mix of the chopped onions and apples.

Rub the seasoning into the skin coating the entire bird.

Allow to sit 2 hours at room temp for the flavors to begin to permiate the flesh.

Place the duck (or goose) in a covered roasting pan.

Fill the roasting pan with the wine coolers until the duck (or goose) is half covered.

Cover and roast at 250 or 300 degrees for at least 4 hours.

Time will vary depending on the size of the duck.

The duck is done when the legs are easily pulled away and the bone begins to slip out.

remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving and serving.

I like to serve this with a mixed baby greens salad with some blood oranges and balsamic vineger type dressing and a side dish of basmati rice.​

3. Thanks!
    I was up before daylight (as usual, but busy this am instead of slurping coffee, checking the forums, & waiting for sunup) and made a sizable dent in the Pekin drake population here.

Roasted one in the oven on a rack tonight with just a couple of halved sweet onions in the cavities (after 6 hrs in an icy salt water brine).
    WOW! What a giant difference from the 'grocery-store-ducks' I've cooked.
    Breast meat was overdone to me (I'm not a fan of breast-meat anyway, but cooked the way Hubby likes it) --- still juicy and the rest, well, wow! Fantastic flavor!
    I'll try next time with apple, and herbs.
    It's going to take several times before 'just roast duck' gets old.
    Still looking for more low-chol / fat twists on duck [​IMG]
    Thanks again,
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by