Duck run beside peafowl run?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dixygirl, Jun 15, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    My peafowl have a large run/coop that is an enclosed carport seen here.
    [​IMG]

My plan is to put up more 4x4 posts beside it and cage in the same way a twin habitat for my ducks that are maturing. My question is that since I am told that duck are very active at night, would they make the peafowl unhappy at night with their waddling around? Or are they both equally alert at night?

Personally I have not heard the ducks moving about too much at night at all where they are now, but I am wondering what the experts think.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I would recommend keeping waterfowl as separate from peafowl as possible. Peafowl are suspectible to diseases and parasites that waterfowl(and chickens) generally have a high resistance or immunity to. Some of the parasites lethal to peafowl require hosts that thrive in wet soil(worms and earthworms). Ducks are extremely messy and make their enclosures quite wet with bathing and liquid excrement squirting all over. I would think having the duck pen down slope of the peafowl pen being better than being level or upside.

Ducks are active at night, the ones I had did sleep more but continued to have periods of activity throughout the night and peacocks during breeding season ARE more responsive to stimuli so he may be yelling more next year due to seeing and hearing the ducks through the night.

3. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Thanks so much for that valuable info. I will put them far away from the peafowl then.

PS How about the ducks keeping the horse company instead? She might even help to watch over their pen, while they help to eat flys [​IMG] .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Haha that would be cute, know nothing about horses myself so couldn't help out there..

(btw congrats on your new mother and babies! I saw your other thread and smiled at the pictures)

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My horses like my chickens,turkeys,ducks and peafowl. My Mustang Mare would watch the peachicks through the wire door of their pen and let them pull on her wiskers. When they were old enough to be let out she would lay in the sun with them. She's farther from the ducks but still watches them.[​IMG]

6. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Great. Sounds like a plan [​IMG]
    Chickenzoo, sounds like you really do have a zoo going [​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:Yep, seems we do...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by