Duck Run

chubbyducks

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2015
I just finished building my duck run and thought id share. I'm pretty pleased with how it went - I had no previous carpentry experience and had never built anything like this before so it just goes to show that with a bit of care anyone can build something like this!

Originally it was going to be 5 foot high, but I changed it to 6.5 feet at the last minute so I didn't have to stoop through a tiny door! The floor is half sand, half slate (I liked the slate as itd be nich easier to keep clean, but I was unsure if its be too much for their feet so I gave them a bit of both. They seem to be happy running around on it though).

PS please excuse the state of the garden! I finished hours before picking up the ducks and hadn't had chance to tidy up!

The last thing in considering is putting a corrugated pvc roof on it at some point

It looks very professional - well done! The only thing I would change - you have chicken wire - I would change that to hardware mesh cloth. Chicken wire will not keep a determined predator out, especially a raccoon.
Otherwise - take a bow!
thumbsup.gif

Cheers. I'm in the UK so racoons aren't really an issue! Foxes are the main threat around here so I've dug the chicken wire a few feet deep and out which should stop them being able to bury under

That's nice!!

Fox, or any canine, may be able to chew thru chicken wire.

Will be curious to see how the slate vs sand works after the poop starts accumulating.
Watch their feet with that slate, it looks sharp.

I hadn't considered being able to chew through the wire - I've ended up with quite a lot of leftover chickenwire so perhaps I'll double up around the bottom for a bit of extra protection.

I'm pretty confident that the slate should be ok, some of the edges are a bit sharp but since the individual pieces are flat it none of the sharp bits stick out. I even walked around on it barefoot for a bit to reassure myself that I'd made the right decision!! My plan for the slate half is that I should just be able to hose away any muck since it drains really well. I figure I can just scoop the poop up on the sand.

I hadn't considered being able to chew through the wire - I've ended up with quite a lot of leftover chickenwire so perhaps I'll double up around the bottom for a bit of extra protection.

I'm pretty confident that the slate should be ok, some of the edges are a bit sharp but since the individual pieces are flat it none of the sharp bits stick out. I even walked around on it barefoot for a bit to reassure myself that I'd made the right decision!! My plan for the slate half is that I should just be able to hose away any muck since it drains really well. I figure I can just scoop the poop up on the sand.
And I don't think ducks scratch like chickens do.
What's under the sand and stone?...the water might drain way but the pulverized poop can get trapped in there.

A couple of inches of gravel, and then just earth underneath so the poop should just feed back into the ground

You did a great job!

I agree about the chicken wire. It's just not strong enough! I underestimated predators once and lost a chicken because of it. I don't know what you
have in your area but they(predators) will find your ducks.

Cheers. I'm in the UK so racoons aren't really an issue! Foxes are the main threat around here so I've dug the chicken wire a few feet deep and out which should stop them being able to bury under

I know this is old but I had a friend who had a fox and her kits jump/climb their 6' fence/run and kill everyone of her hens. Apparently they are very agile creatures. Just a warning. I hope you have not had any problems since this post. Excellent job by the way.
1f609.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom