Duck ?s

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaK6, Apr 15, 2012.

1. MommaK6

MommaK6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Well, our 2 sweet little Cayugas have arrived!
    1.When will we know their genders, how?
    2. They are in with baby chicks....aside from being taken out of the brooder for baths, do they need a water source to wash their heads in inside the brooder?
    3. What kinds of treats can I give them? Can they eat what the chicks eat as far as treats?

Anything else I should know??

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Females should start quacking anywhere from about 4 weeks on. Males will keep making baby noises for much longer and start to get an adult male voice at about 8 weeks.

You can put a little tiny dish of water in their brooder for them to clear out their nostrils. Something about as deep but twice as wide an an egg cup is ok - like a little ceramic ramekin or something (that's what I use) about 1 inch deep and 2 inches wide.

Have lots of fun with your cute ducklings!!!

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    1.When will we know their genders, how? --- IF you go by the noise they make girls will loud and boy more quiet. My female Pekin has a deffnit "Quack" and is loud, the boy we had was quiet and was muffled.

2. They are in with baby chicks....aside from being taken out of the brooder for baths, do they need a water source to wash their heads in inside the brooder? ----- I have mine all in the coop and pastured during the day. I just have the 1 gallon waterer in the coop for overnight. When they were in the brooder I had a pie pan in there to provide water to clean their sinuses.

3. What kinds of treats can I give them? Can they eat what the chicks eat as far as treats? --- I give them everything I give the chicks. Mealworms, peas, slugs, beatles, any scraps we have, ect. Their favorite is slugs, peas, cantalope, and tomato sandwiches lol.

5. MommaK6

Mar 20, 2012
    What did you mean about only needing the brooder when eating?

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I think that Kevin meant they only need face washing water in the brooder when eating :) But I give them face washing water all the time since they really like it. They make it all slushy with food within 5 minutes though..... :)

7. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I got one of the little chick waterers at tractor supply...we have had a duckling drown in an inch deep of water...I also only give them water in thier brooder when they are eating and let them have a "puddle" to play in when I am watching them during the day outside. I take the food and water overnight as they seem to sleep better that way (they are 3 weeks old and still stink up the kitchen!) We have a routine...after they have been outside in the "corral" (a four sided box that is 12" high and 4 feet by 4 feet with no bottom and covered with latice so it can be moved where we want and a kids saucer sled with warm water for their puddle...) for most of the morning when warm enough, they come inside in their brooder (a very large tote with the top cut out and a screen staple gunned in place) lined with fresh grass. I turn on the heat lamp, they have a snack of ducklin food and strawberries and peas, then they nap. They go back out for a while in the afternoon to bathe and play then they come back in and eat some more and drink...with the heat lamp for a couple hours... Then I change the bedding again, take away the food and water and when we go up to bed we shut off the heat lamp and tell them good night and dont hear but maybe a peep or two til morning light! If its too cold to play outside, they have tubby time! They are awful spoiled and sweet as ever! (Oh yeah, they have free feeding of duckling food the whole time they are outside...)
    My only advice is to make sure the started feed is NOT medicated as the ducks can not have it. I always offer luke warm or room temp water for drinking, never cold, and follow their cues as far as too hot or too cold with the lamp. Good luck, and just know...its only just begun! Welcome to the family!

8. MommaK6

Mar 20, 2012
    Thank you, guys!!

We have 18 chicks and the two cayugas.....seriously, they are sweet as can be!! Our chicks came in two batches (first batch is 8 hens, second batch is 10 bantams) and while I am so very attached to my first group of hens, I am having a hard time bonding with the second batch. I think it's because the ducks are so snuggly and sweet that they get my attention and love first!!! The bantams just squeak and cheep like you are killing them while the ducks just nibble at you and go to sleep. A-DOR-ABLE!!!!! And that little side eye look they give you.........so funny. I wonder what they are thinking? I can't wait to know whether they are boys or girls so I can name them.

We purchased our chicks and the ducks from a feed mill. Typically, I read posts saying that isn't the best place to buy them. Ours is family owned, and has been for ages. The guy, Greg, who handles all the chicken orders seems to be highly knowledgable about the chickens, ducks, turkeys....etc, even telling me what is best temperament-wise for my children. When I purchased our feed, he simply asked if I needed "starter", I said yes, and his son put a massive bag in my trunk. It is labeled as "feed" in a very generic looking paper bag...almost as if they fill it there? The hens from my first batch are healthy and well....we use ACV in their water with daily yogurt and treats with the feed. I honestly am not sure if it is medicated or not. I asked him when we purchased our ducks if it was okay for them to eat and he said yes. I wonder if that means it is not medicated? What will happen if it is? How long will it take before it hurts my ducklings? I think I better call first thing in the morning.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by