1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck-Safe Meds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bailey1204, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Bailey1204

Bailey1204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    So, on Wednesday my ducks got attacked by a mink. Most of them have just small superficial wounds that will heal. But two have bone-deep wounds in neck near head. We are keeping it clean but if it gets infected they will die. Does anyone know of any human meds that are safe for ducks? Or good antibiotics you can get at feed store? Vitamins maybe? They are eating, but not drinking. They are in out house in a large dog crate with about 6 inched of bedding. Any natural remedies? I'll do anything but go to the vet-it's too expensive.
    Thanks for any help,
    Abby

P.S. Also, two dies during attack. We killed the mink that night.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Bailey1204 - I posted a response on the other thread.

For the record, feed stores often sell things like Duramycin or Tylan. I think - and I'm not a pro - that the Duramycin is what I would try if needed.

Saline solution is a great thing - several rinses a day.

Keep them where flies cannot get at them.

Might try making sure their food is soupy so they'll get enough water.

There are poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics that I like to use - cost about 4 dollars for a four ounce packet that lasts for ages (I think it's a quarter teaspoon of powder per gallon of water).

3. Bailey1204

Bailey1204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    We made homemade electrolyte stuff and they are in our house no flies.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by