Duck seems to still be breathing heavy?

DuckMochi

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Should I be worried? I posted on the emergency board a couple days ago regarding my mallard female breathing pretty heavily. I discovered something stuck in her nose and thought that might be the reason but two days later and I feel like she’s still breathing heavily? She might not even be, it might be my imagination. But I tried to video tape her breathing so you guys could see what I meant but I guess you cannot upload video files on here. Not sure what to do honestly.

Also she acts perfectly normal and eats and drinks. There’s nothing wrong with her other than the possible heavy breathing.

She had mud lodged in there pretty tight the other night and that’s why I thought she was breathing so heavily. I wish there was a way I could post a video because I may be freaking out over nothing

Do your ducks have a bucket of water deep enough to wash their entire heads? that is very important for them to clean their nares and eyes.
You can add a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water it's a great tonic and can also kill some bacteria. 1 Tablespoon to 1 gal of water.

Yes they have three separate buckets that are filled enough for them to dunk their heads... so clogged noses shouldn’t be a problem. My cayuga’s nose is clean 99% of the time

Sometimes when my ducks are rooting around in the mud they get clogged nares and really have to get those heads in the bucket to clean them out.

Hopefully your lil one is fine please keep us updated.
Never a good idea to use antibiotics unless we know for sure there is a need.

Update: Billy is still breathing heavily but she’s not wheezing or making any sounds when she does breath. She’s got nothing stuck in her nose (that I can see) but you can still see that she’s breathing heavily. She’s not acting sick either but I’m getting worried. I can’t tell if this is her normal breathing or not anymore. I feel like if it was then I would have noticed it a long time ago, not just within the last few days. I want to take her to the vet just to make sure she’s ok but I don’t know how I’ll convince my parents to allow to take a duck to the vet. I can go on my own. I’ll just have to go into my savings to pay for it but I’ll pay anything I need to go make sure she is ok.

Back
Top Bottom