Duck sex question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fogbubble, Jan 1, 2010.

1. fogbubble

fogbubble Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Western NC
    Ok, I'm thinking ahead to this spring and my experimental Harlequin/Cayuga/mallard crosses. I'm getting spring fever very early this year - I'm so excited!
    Our birds (10 right now) all live together in one big fenced yard and duck house. It's going to be a quite a hassle to isolate my birds in various pairings, so I have a few questions: How long is sperm from a particular drake stored and used? In other words, after a pair mates, how many subsequent eggs will be his?
    Any tips or suggestions will be helpful.
    Shannon
    Harlequin Creek

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I've heard that they can be fertile for up to two weeks...but I don't know if it's true or not

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I've heard that too. I mean It kinda makes it a little difficult to think about when you have numerous drakes mounting the same hen. Im curious about this too since I want to try out some different breeding projects.

I wonder if this means that one drake is responsible for the fertility of two weeks worth of eggs - but then what happens with the sperm of the second drake??

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I have always heard one month, but I don't recall ever seeing anything scientific about that number, LOL. The general rule of thumb seems to be one month if I recall correctly. I'm sure I read that in one of Holderread's books.

5. fogbubble

fogbubble Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Western NC
    Seems like I've heard that puppies from the same litter can have different fathers if Mom cavorted around, so I guess the same can apply to clutches of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by