1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck sexing bracelets....?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepsandquacks, Apr 28, 2011.

1. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Brown means girl and purple means male right?

Because my male is a TON louder then my female. Female never makes a noise, but male is always cherping. I thought it was supposed to be the opposite? 1.5weeks old

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Im not sure of the question. I dont know what duck sexing bracelets are? If you can explain that to me, perhaps I can help- or someone here can.

3. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    i guess i ment anklets. they are the colored bands around the ducks feet to show what sex they are.

4. Becca's Animals

Becca's Animals Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    That is exactly how mine were sexed. We ordered 2 female buffs, 1 male buff, 1 male mallard, and one female mallard. They boys had light purple, the girls a darkish brown color. You would think it would be opposite, you know purple for girls,[​IMG] but yea that is how they are banded.

5. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    lol ok! I guess I just have a noisy male then!!

6. Haazegirl

Haazegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Southern Minnesota
    That's funny, I just got 3 ducks for the first time. Only one has an anklet and it must be the drake. A very fashion forward drake!

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you still have the bands on the ducklings at 1 1/2 weeks old. Is there enough room for the band to move because the bands are ment to be taken off as the duckling grows it grows into the band and the band will eventually cut the circulation and hurt your ducky.

8. Becca's Animals

Becca's Animals Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    That is true, I had to take my bands off the little stinkers just a few days after we got them because they were getting so they didn't want to move. They also are not as easy to remove as you may think. We thought it was going to be easy just pull them to expand and twist them off [​IMG] yea right we had to snip them off very carefully while the very interested little ones watched VERY intently.

9. peepsandquacks

Apr 22, 2011
    nonono, bands came off the day I got the duckies. Im not that mean :p. I memorized the markings on each, so I know who is what. I know the male had a purple, and the female had a brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by