Duck sexing question - muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jul 2, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    SO of the "ducklings" I have left I thought several of them were drakes (OK most) Well we were doing some pen cleaning and rearranging tonight and let our two grown muscovies mingle with the nearly grown ducklings. I just caught the Known drake "sitting" on top of one I was SURE was a drake also. It looked like he was mating. Would he do that to show dominance over a younger drake? This unsexed duckling is nearly as big as my drake and definately bigger than the hen duck I already have.

2. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Here is a picture of the duck in question. I am still thinking boy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    How old is it? It looks like a drake to me ;-) Long hind end, bigger head and beak - and looks to have pretty thick legs! can't see webbing.

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Got him May 15th and we are guesstimating they were about 6 weeks then. So somewhere between 13-14 weeks old.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Yep! A drakelet!
    Looks like the Blue one behind him is a drakelet too! [​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I am keeping the blue pied one behind - he is very, very pretty. Out of the 11 ducklings I kept I think I only have 3 girls, the rest are going to be sold off and I don't want to accidentally sell a girl [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I gotta go look at mine again! I can't decide if I have boys, girls or wanna bees! [​IMG]
    I don't want any girls to go but I don't want 5 males and 4 girls either. I find Muscovy very hard to tell about. I'm still learning though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by