Duck Sexual Offender now molesting Canada gosling.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mini Coop, May 12, 2008.

1. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the second male duck I've had. My first male duck was many years ago, he had a mate, produced offspring, but he also molested the hens.

I just caught him trying to mate with my little Canada gosling orphan, he is scaring her and I had to lock him up.

We have some goslings and duckings coming this week, they will be good buddies for the gosling. I'm not sure if I need to just segregate the drake from everyone or what. My adult Goose is his buddy, he doesn't bother her probably because of her size. She is a year older than him and has always been a surrogate mother as soon as he and his sibling (who was killed by a predator before fully mature) were put in the yard.

I know that if he were out of the picture, my adult goose would bond better with the young ones, she has a strong parenting instinct. But, I hate to keep him locked up all season.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Male ducks are just nasty guys when it comes to mating. They'll breed anything they can catch and keep after it. He's not going to change so you'll either have to pen him seperate or get rid of him.

3. Mom

Mom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I didn't know that. Course I am learning as the ducks age. Have a feeling my RIR and Banties will not stand for much from that duck.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They'll breed a hen to death if there's too many drakes in the pen.

5. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

My former drake from 15 years ago drowned two banty hens who he took a fancy to, and he had a mate.

I guess it's unnatural for ducks to be locked up with a bunch of other poultry. The goose is now pining outside of the pen for him. He's an otherwise inoffensive little guy. He won two ribbons at fair last year.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Yeah my two guys are a bunch of molesters too. They have been chasing the baby ducks (2monthsold) around the yard today scaring the hell out of them.

7. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My male muscovy duck chases all the birds around. Been plenty of times he got the birds worked up enough that he would finally get on a female duck and the male chinese goose will get on top of both of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by