Duck shoes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sadies chicks, Nov 13, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Can someone post a pic of their homemade duck shoe/bootie? I want to get some ideas for my girl that is recovering from bumblefoot.

thanks!

2. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Does anyone have any pics??

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have any idea how to make them but maybe you could PM nettie. She makes duck shoes and diapers.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:you maybe able to contact Nettie through her Face book page.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    May I suggest that you rethink the use of shoes or boots. The sores need to heal and they will do that faster if air can get to them. Confining on clean dry bedding would be better in my opinion.

6. Azd1292

Azd1292 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Hi i also had a bumblefoot girl that needed shoes. I made her a pair to keep the meds in plus her feet were sore. They must of relieved some of the pain cause i got her climping the strangest things when she had them on! I can take a few pics tomorrow to post. My sewing skills are dusty so they arent perfect. Im actually in the process of making a few pairs just to have on hand.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That would be great if you could post because there was another poster thinking they may help her duck. Thank you!

8. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I have given a pair of Nettie's shoes to my avian vet so he could show other clients. He thought that they'd be ideal for a duck recovering from foot injury. So I think you should go ahead and try to make a pair.

9. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:That would be great if you could post because there was another poster thinking they may help her duck. Thank you!

Agreed!! Please post pics!! and thanks [​IMG]

10. outdoorgrace

outdoorgrace New Egg

Mar 21, 2014
    Canton, CT
    My friend is a vet who specializes in wildlife rehabilitation. Ducks hardly get bumblefoot in the wild, but often times get them while healing in rehab centers or as 'pets'. She recommends the shoes to help them heal and protect through the healing process. Of course she said water is the best therapy-without the shoes on... I just rescued three domestic ducks from a not so great living situation and the largest pekin has quite a case of bumblefoot from a wire cage and concrete floor. :( I am trying to get her out of the pen as much as possible to swim. Just wish this winter would let go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by