DUCK SHRINK WRAPPED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BunnyStyles, Dec 8, 2014.

1. BunnyStyles

BunnyStyles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    GUYS THERE IS THIS DUCK THAT IS SHRINK WRAPPED AND I NEED HELP, THERE I BLOOD AND WHEN I WENT TO ZIP AROUND THE EGG I COULDN'T GET HALFWAY AS THERE WAS A SPOT OF BLOOD SO I STOPPED, I GOT THE EGG NOW IN A WARM DISHWASHING CLOTH BUT PLEASE HELP ME I REALLY DONT WANT THIS DUCKLING TO DIE

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    How long has it been since it pipped? What temp/humidity is the bator? Is the baby still moving?

3. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    it's been two days since he externally pipped, 4 days since he internally pipped and he is under a silkie chicken as the mumma didn't keep all the eggs warm and yes the baby is still moving, I now have him under the silkie in a wet towel, idk please help

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Crud, I wish Lacry was here...this is an article about assisted hatching, I think this will help you A LOT since it's been two whole days since it externally pipped. Reading it will also help you to decide whether to wait and see what happens, or if it's indeed time to intervene.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

The membrane does look pretty stiff and dry, but you did good in wrapping it in a warm, damp towel. Do you have an incubator you can place the baby in, or is it just the silkie hen?

5. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    I brought it back in and this is what it looks like [​IMG]

I'm wetting the membrane thing with the cloth and nah don't have an incubator, couldn't afford one so just two silkie hens (they share)

6. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm putting her back under e silkie in the wrapped towel then I will wait 2 hours before checking on he

7. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Okay, there's still some blood vessels intact, so he's not quite ready yet. Wobbles was the same way. Did you remove that egg shell, or did he? It's unfortunate that there's no incubator, it's ALWAYS good to have a Plan B if the mama stops being broody or an emergency like this occurs.

Because he's lost a little blood from coming out early, he may be weak when he finally does hatch. Have some B-complex vitamins handy. Just crush one pill into a gallon of warm water, mix it with 1/2 cup sugar or so, fill a dropper and get him to drink a bit of it. It'll help give him a boost.

8. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014

Okay thank you and yeah I just put him under the silkies wing, so he can breathe and doesn't get crushed, I'm leaving him for now, I hope he survives tho

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Me too, hun. :/ I've got my fingers crossed, I hope the lil' guy pulls through!

10. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    he got hurt by the silkies by accident and started bleeding so I'm taking him up to school as we have a farm there and they're going to check him out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by