Duck sitting with brooder issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Drivegirl54, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Hi all!
    I'm duck sitting 6 2 week old ducklings that were brought to me tonight. They were brought in a wire dog crate but there's nothing on the floor of it to absorb the massive amount of water they splashed around. I know that my chicks need the pine shavings, but what about these guys? How do I make their home a little better for the next week or so?
    Thanks!

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Could you put down some cardboard and then lay hay over that? You will need something to absorb the water no doubt. You could also use pine shavings but I would worry a little more that they would tend to eat those since they are smaller shavings. I had two goslings that I used cedar shavings with when they were small because the chips were bigger and I like the smell, but I have since heard not to do that with poultry and/or waterfowl. Whatever you do, just make sure to protect your floor. Ducklings and goslings can be so messy but so sweet and adorable.
    Enjoy![​IMG]

3. Drivegirl54

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Thanks, I put them in a kiddie pool filled with the only thing I had which was pine shavings. I stuck the waterer inside of a container I had so it can't spill everywhere. I'm mainly just worried about them eating the shavings. Omg they smelled sooo bad this am! I brought them in the kitchen for the night and now I can't get the smell out. Ick. They are definitely cute but disgusting

4. Bugcrusher

Bugcrusher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    non -smelling wood shavings should be fine, I use them on mine. No pool of water though, they need feathers first. Keep them warm with plenty of food..need high protein feed not medicated for them so thier legs grow strong. The smell and the mess can be controlled with daily clening to some degree. I have 5 ducklings just coming into feather now. I keep then in a screen bottomed brooder with pine shavings 2" thick. I clean out the wet icky layer and put in more daily. They are a messy little bunch. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

5. Drivegirl54

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Thanks!!

I'll definitely make sure that I clean them daily. I'm guessing the shavings are about 3 inches deep and so far they seem to be doing well with it. How about playing in the kitchen sink in warm water? I never thought anything could smell worse than chickens lol. These little guys take the cake on that one

6. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Thanks, I put them in a kiddie pool filled with the only thing I had which was pine shavings.

That's an even better idea! I was thinking you had to protect them from possibly another pet (dog, cat). I had goslings and I don't think they are quite as smelly as they don't need the constant source of swimming water that ducks do. Just make sure they're monitored when they're very young like another poster said. They are all smelly though - but I still love them anyway!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by