Duck smell

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fourpekinducks, Jul 4, 2011.

1. fourpekinducks

fourpekinducks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Wellingborough
    Well I got my new ducks on Sunday and I am now paranoid they are going to smell and my neighbors might complain! [​IMG]

They are in a 7ft x 3ft (with a ramp up to a house) coop that is directly on the ground (mud) I am allowing free range in the garden during the day.

Can anyone give me some tips on making sure they dont smell - will pea gravel help with the smell - if washed done regularly?

I would be very greatful for any advice - I dont have a large garden (its 77 square meters)

2. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I don't know about others but for the dirt yard, I find if I till it, or turn it with a shovel, every day or two I don't have an odor
    Their water does start to smell if I don't change it daily(the pool)

3. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    i have gone through the wide range of different ground coverings; weeds that were reduced to dirt, dirt that became mud, sod that became mud, hay that became wet stink mess, sand and now pea gravel. Pea gravel is my perfect fit. I never smell anything which was a problem with each previous covering-even sand a little, and its easy to rake clean of poop, debris and anything else. The ducks seem to like it and they are less able to make their lovely mud holes in it. the water drains very quickly and it doesn't smell one bit. I went to the desert to get my gravel, from decomposed granite mountain areas. it was free and I was out there for something anyway.

I hope you try pea gravel, its wonderful and never gets smelly.

4. fourpekinducks

Jul 4, 2011
    Wellingborough
    Quote:I was thinking a layer of sand and then the gravel on top. How thick is your gravel? What do you use in the duck house? I currently have straw.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Mine won't go in their duck house. I've had them in their enclosure for about 2 months now. We dug them a mini pond. Built up the sides and layed an old king size air mattress as a liner inside and put concrete over the outside of the wall to both hold down the liner and let the ducks climb up the little hill to the pond. Their ground isn't level. It's oing slightly downhill so no water stays. So far it's working. Their little pond is the only thing that is a problem. I have to bail it out twice a week or it gets all green and stinky. [​IMG] I suggested to DH that we put in a drain before he put down the concrete but noooooo. We did it his way. Unfortunately, he's not the one that has to bail it out twice a week. [​IMG]

We plan to finish it by covering the inside with concrete also. And i'm going to use a hose to drain the pond as soon as I find one that is long enough that don't dump the water inside the enclosure.

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Probably no need to use sand under the pea gravel. Just use pea gravel, it'll drain better on its own.

You might need a deep layer. I have a 20cm layer of gravel and sand. This depth works well. Would it be possible to do that in your coop? If not, can you raise it up on a base that can contain the gravel?

Planting water loving plants around the perimeter will help too.

7. fourpekinducks

Jul 4, 2011
    Wellingborough
    70%cocoa :

Probably no need to use sand under the pea gravel. Just use pea gravel, it'll drain better on its own.

You might need a deep layer. I have a 20cm layer of gravel and sand. This depth works well. Would it be possible to do that in your coop? If not, can you raise it up on a base that can contain the gravel?

Planting water loving plants around the perimeter will help too.

Cheers, thanks for that. Will be putting the gravel down at the weekend. So chuffed with my feathered friends [​IMG]

8. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    dont let feed get in water or mud

9. fourpekinducks

Jul 4, 2011
    Wellingborough
    Quote:Ok thanks. - how do you feed yours?

I need to found something better then I have at the moment

10. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    mostly they find their own, but i throw them some grains once in a while in a dry spot.
    i like to throw it in tall grass so they mow it for me lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by