Duck-Splay leg or weak legs? Unsure on route to take!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cdnley, May 16, 2011.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Hello !

My duckie Daisy was born on Saturday. She was breech in the egg, the placenta on the side of the egg and her foot over her head...I am even suprised she piped initally as she had the placenta/leg on one side and half her body on the other side. I slowly chipped away at the shell and left it to see if she would make any progress, which she didn't. I hatched her myself over 2 days. All the yolk was absorbed and she was cheeping after she got out of the egg, relief would be the best way to describe it.

Anyway at first she could not lift her head and just laid there with her eyes closed. I fed her electrolyte with a dropper as she couldn't lift her head to drink/eat. She kind of woke up and could propel herself around..kind of throwing her body weight to get from point A to B. Now almost 2 days later she hold her head up longer and straighter. She can walk but sits a lot and her legs splay out a bit but not as severe as some of the pictures I have seen. They kind of rest on either side of her sometimes. She walks a bit funny, but she lays a lot too. Now she is eating and drinking herself and pooping too!

She can run quickly but it just seems her legs are a little weak and they tend to try to spread out. What do you think I should do? Should I wait a few more days as she is still in recovery or what?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Bump to see if anyone has some advice.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by