1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck started laying unusually large (dinosaur) size eggs. Not normal for her.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MaryamLoveDucks, Nov 12, 2014.

1. MaryamLoveDucks

MaryamLoveDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello. During the past five days, my khaki Campbell began laying extremely large eggs. This is not common for her. She is almost a year old. Should I be worried? Thanks!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's completely normal for a female of almost any avian species to begin laying bigger eggs in her second year of laying, basically. They are not fully grown in their first year, almost all continue to grow. I've had quite a few hens more than double their size after their second or third year, males as well. Most will upgrade egg size after their first year. :)

Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  3. emmajane07

emmajane07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Missouri
    Hello! My girl will lay a normal size egg for a few days and then massive ones for a few days. I like to call them T-Rex eggs :) I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Are they double-yolkers?

5. emmajane07

Aug 13, 2014
    Missouri
    Yes--quite a few of them are still double yolkers. The T-Rex eggs that is. The normal size eggs are just one yolk.

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    If she manages ok, it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about, but there is a heightened risk with double-yolker-layers becoming eggbound. It's genetic in basis for the majority of cases so breeding her can produce daughters also at risk. After some evaluation I ended up removing all my double-yolker laying lines. Hope yours is fine.

Best wishes.

7. emmajane07

Aug 13, 2014
    Missouri
    Thank you! She is still young--just started laying a few months ago. Hasn't missed a day of laying. So, I think for now--I am going to remain unworried :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by