Duck starter

seussiii

Chirping
Jan 26, 2017
I'm a week out from receiving my ducklings and don't have local access too starter feed. Local shop has plenty of unmedicated 16% growers but no starter in stock. Will this do?

I could always order some starter online and have plenty of time for that but after reading up it seems like they will only need it for the first 2-3 weeks anyways. Can I make growers work if I wet it down or grind it a little smaller as dry? Is that even needed?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a week out from receiving my ducklings and don't have local access too starter feed. Local shop has plenty of unmedicated 16% growers but no starter in stock. Will this do?

I could always order some starter online and have plenty of time for that but after reading up it seems like they will only need it for the first 2-3 weeks anyways. Can I make growers work if I wet it down or grind it a little smaller as dry? Is that even needed?

Thanks in advance!
Can you get All Flock? Purina makes one and it's for all stages so you never have to change feed. It comes in crumble also.

I'll have to check with them. Is the biggest issue the content or how coarse/fine the feed itself is?

Sounds like as long as I am getting them 16-20% protein and niacin they should be good no? I'm mostly worried about the first 2-3 weeks and them being able to eat it if the grain is too large.

All-Flock, Flock-Raiser, etc would be good alternatives if available. If the crumble size seems to be a problem you can easily grind it down to be smaller/finer for as long as needed until they grow into the larger crumble size (also can be done if all you can find is pellet and want crumble). If you see niacin content becoming an issue you can mix a little game bird starter (if you can find it) into the chick/all-poultry feed -- the gambird is too high in protein on it's own, but has more niacin than the other feed so mixing can often balance it all out.

I can get Duck starter....I have been told that chick starter not medicated is best and supply niacin right from the start......I am not sure of the dosage or the right type though.....Someone else with Duck experience will reply...@RavynFallen would know.....I can not tag her with this ipad......

Cheers!

Follow up!

So all they had was the one kind of 18% chicken starter (which i grabbed). I asked them about grower for later down the line and she said they didn't carry it. All they had was various types of layer pellets, crumbles, scratch.

Will a lower protein(16%) layer work fine for ~4 weeks and beyond? I've read that it could be an issue for the drakes getting extra calcium from the layer.

Hard part is trying to separate the myths as I have read quit a few conflicting threads on it.

Last edited:
Follow up!

So all they had was the one kind of 18% chicken starter (which i grabbed). I asked them about grower for later down the line and she said they didn't carry it. All they had was various types of layer pellets, crumbles, scratch.

Will a lower protein(16%) layer work fine for ~4 weeks and beyond? I've read that it could be an issue for the drakes getting extra calcium from the layer.

Hard part is trying to separate the myths as I have read quit a few conflicting threads on it.
Chick starter is fine just be sure to either use Nutritional Yeast 1 tab per cup of feed or "Plain" niacin 250mgs per 1 gallon of water daily till 8-10 weeks of age. Chick starter does not have enough niacin that water fowl need. And layer shouldn't be fed till at least 20 weeks old or first egg. Is there no other feed sources close to you? I have to travel 50 miles round trip to get my feed.

Miss Lydia has got some good advice there!

It might be worth asking your local hardware store. I was surprised when I found the one down my street carried Blue Seal feed. There wasn't anything that told me that was the case since it's not even shelved, you ask for it at check out and they radio to some one to bring it to your car. I was used to TSC.

Follow up!

Chick starter is fine just be sure to either use Nutritional Yeast 1 tab per cup of feed or "Plain" niacin 250mgs per 1 gallon of water daily till 8-10 weeks of age. Chick starter does not have enough niacin that water fowl need. And layer shouldn't be fed till at least 20 weeks old or first egg. Is there no other feed sources close to you? I have to travel 50 miles round trip to get my feed.

With this stupid ipad I can not like your reply Miss Lydia, so I will just say once again , Your the BEST!......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom