duck stopped laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darklingstorm, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I'm new to ducks. I have 2 Khaki Campbell ducks 10 months old today. My girl was laying an egg a day, then one day nothing and nothing since. Do ducks stop laying due to daylight length shortening, like a chicken? What about molting, do they molt like a chicken or slower?
    I moved them to their own pen, separate from the chickens but sharing the fence with them. They have green grass still, a kiddie pool, a nesting shelter and I feed them Flock Raiser by Purina. She laid two eggs in the new area but nothing since.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes, all birds molt. And most ducks will take a break from laying during the winter months like most other birds too.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are a few things that cause a pause in laying.

Light, heat, stress, molting, illness, any change in their environment. It is unique to each bird, in my experience.

Sounds like you're feeding them well. Think about what may have changed. Be especially looking for signs of illness. Neun had egg yolk peritonitis and she stopped laying. But there were no signs of the illness, and eventually we lost her. So if you suspect any problems, you may want her to see a vet.

May it go well with you, and just be the normal resting time for her.

4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Well its official, Ming Ming is molting. I went out there today and it looks like a duck fight happened with all the small feathers laying around. No injuries and she is looking very scruffy. she has been eating good and acting normal so I didn't look any further (I know, bad owner). Its been so cold and rainy here that I haven't been able to spend but a couple minutes a day with them, so really hadn't noticed her feather condition. But today was nice and sunny so I got to go out and take time with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by