Duck stopped laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thassa, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    My Amy Duck who is a Runner started laying in August (she was born early April), one first thing every morning. The crazy girl was reliable if nothing else. (I love the big character that she is). The beginning of October we tore down the big barn that the birds (Amy and 30ish chickens) were living in and moved them into a smaller building. She layed a couple of times after being moved into the new building but hasn't since. She seems to be going through a mini molt of sorts but can I expect her to start laying again this winter or am I going to have to live without her awesome eggs all winter?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It can take them a while to get back into laying after molt sometimes a couple months, so don' give up on her just make sure she is getting good nutrition.

3. Thassa

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    Thanks for replying. I never really even gave it a thought about her molting=not laying. [​IMG] I don't know why, 1/2 my hens are molting right now and aren't laying.

She gets what she wants to eat at home and she free ranges in the yard and woods and on over to my parent's house where she is the favorite so I know she is eating well. We just put a pond in for her when we tore down the barn but she isn't quite sure of it yet and sticks to her little kiddie pool. Until her, I never realized what big personalities ducks were!

Is there a genetics color chart for runners floating around? I was going to get her some friends in the springs along with a boyfriend and was wondering what I would get if I crossed her with a fawn&white or a blue. She is a chocolate.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm seeing the same thing, some of my hens are coming out of molt and a few still going through so eggs have been sparse and my Muscovy's haven't laid an egg since sept.

As far as Runners other than loving the breed I have no Idea about colors. Here is a good thread that may help you, and please post pics when you get a chance. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/609642/runner-duck-club/870
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/836355/runner-color-genetics-question#post_12296394 might find this interesting also.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. Thassa

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by