Duck stopped laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m00res, Oct 25, 2008.

1. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Hello everyone!

We inherited a duck with a chicken adoption. We were told that she used to lay, but hasn't in a while. I read that ducks will reduce their egg production based on the length of the day/daylight hours. (Short days/little or no egg production).

I think she is pretty young...only a couple of years old, but don't know for sure. I don't know her breed either. Maybe a crested swede. She free ranges with the chickens on about 1/4 acre and is eating the chicken laying food and scratch. She also gets fresh fruit and green scraps from the kitchen. We have the oyster shells for the chickens, but she doesn't seem interested.

Is there anything else I should be doing for her? I just want to be sure she gets everything that she needs.

Thanks!!

2. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you're doing fine. And their laying is affected by the amount of light. Only a few of mine are still laying (I'm in OK) and I expect them to stop for a few months soon. Mine generally start up in late February. She probably doesn't need oyster shell right now since she's not laying but she may eat it when she does lay. I hope you enjoy her. Ducks are very entertaining.

3. m00res

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Thank you for the information! We are certainly entertained. She has decided to announce any time an airplane flies overhead. Maybe she thinks it is a bird? She is really funny.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Most ducks only lay in the winter/spring, so if she kept going this long she's probably a campbell (or other breed developed ot lay eggs). She's likely just pausing to replenish her body and will start up again come January.

5. m00res

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    We got eggs!! So exciting. I didn't know they would be grey. Pretty cool! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by