duck stuck in electric fence

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Aliciahess, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Came home today and found my hen duck stuck on our electric fence. She just had her wing caught on it...the wire was under where the wing connects to body.
    Brought her in, cleaned, put some iodine on the area and covered with Neosporin. She was very hungry and thirsty. Now is she sleeping wrapped in towels.
    Is there anything else I should do? Honestly I'm surprised the fence didn't kill her....

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If she was standing on a wet floor, thenI I'm sure she would have HAD IT . You need to inform yourself what electricity needs to give a jolt. Basically a ground and a contact with a HOT wire. Birds sit on high power lines and nothing happens. That is the same that happened to your bird. I'm glad your bird is recovering. BEST WISHES, I know you are doing all you know and can.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Wow, how scary!! Sounds like you've done everything you need, taking her in to clean and give her a little TLC for awhile. That's great she's eating and drinking for you! I'd just keep an eye on her, but if she's eating and acting normally I would guess she's ok! Thank goodness!

4. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Update...She is good. Laid nice big egg 330am. Goes out today. Very alert, eyes look good

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Glad to read that she was okay. We ended up disconnecting our lower tape on our fence. Just because I was worried that somehow it would be an issue with the ducks and the fence. Thankfully, our horses are very respectful of just the one tape, and I don't think the goats care if they get zapped! But since the lower tape is disconnected, they just sneak under.

7. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a roan drake get stuck on the electric wire at the bottom of the pig fence. The ducks were completely free range and wild. They would squeeze through the fence holes to get to the creek behind the pig pasture. When we put pigs in that paddock and turned the electric on the ducks obviously did not know. The drake was lying on the wire and convulsing. I had to pull him off and it took him a few minutes to get focused. He hates being held, so it must have really shocked the **** out of him.

8. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Oh poor baby. Ours doesn't like to be held either, she let me though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by