duck surfing championships

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RachG75, Nov 10, 2016.

1. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    If there was a duck surfing championship, my Pekin girls would surely win. (yes, I'm positive they're both girls) They have done so much surfing, that the feathers on their necks, especially Pearl's, never seem to dry. Even in the morning when I let them out, their neck feathers don't seem to be fixed, clean and laying nicely. I can sometimes hear them surfing from inside the house! I've read about wet feather and having to bath the bird in dawn and dry with a warm dryer inside. Does this become a problem with too much "surfboard riding?" Do I need to intervene somehow? It's getting cold here in Illinois; expecting our first freeze tonight. The rest of their feathers look clean and waterproofed. Both birds seem to be healthy, happy, eating fine, etc.

ps...my youngest son, who knows about the birds and bees, but since they are both girls, it doesn't seem to occur to him that they are "mating," tells strangers about how his ducks do a trick where they pretend the other is a surfboard and they try to ride until they fall off. Every time the stranger has the most confused look until I whisper what the real deal is. [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Now that is funny. Don't wash your ducks in dawn you'll wash any and all of their water proofing off. Not really anything you can do about their surf board times it is very natural. Unless you separated them and that would make both very unhappy probably.

3. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Thanks Miss Lydia!
    My question is really about "Wet Feather" though and if all the grabbing/rubbing/friction being done to the girls' neck feathers (you have to hold on tight when you are surfing!) can remove the oil and then they become too wet and soiled to recover? Anyone have this happen? They are fine elsewhere, the water beads up and rolls off the rest of them.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/02/treating-and-preventing-wet-feather-in.html

This link describes having to wash and dry the bird so that they can "reset" and start the oiling process again.

4. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    [​IMG]
    This might help. this pic was taken 9/30/16. Pearl is on the right and she is my most submissive duck. Her feathers look like this everyday and in the morning they are still in disarray. This pic was taken in the morning I believe and there is no significant water in their house to be riding surfboards all night.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't worry to much about her neck feathers they don't look like any are missing just damp? Hopefully once it gets really cold they will stop this and settle down for the winter. But if you want to try then by all means go for it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Thank you Miss Lydia. I will take your advice! I don't want to traumatize her unnecessarily. Have a great day!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    These girls just like to keep us going don't they. I have a broody Muscovy who hasn't even gone through her molt yet she just won't give up and I have taken every egg she has laid. Her feathers are looking really bad. I am thinking she may not even molt this year so wet feather is going to be a problem but mine don't get much swimming water over winter once temps get below freezing that will help. They just like to make us worry. [​IMG]

You have a great day too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by